Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Maximum

Dear Colleagues,
I have a row in a spreadsheet with three cells that I want to find the max.
Each cell is a references an IF statement. The cells contain time:
mmss-format. When I use the max. function it will not work-on this row. On
other rows it works.
I tried using Clear All to clear the rows and building the IF statements
again and had the same result.

In the next cell, I tried an average formula and it worked. Even using other
time formats did not prove successful with the max formula. And the minimim
will not work too. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Louis
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You don't say what "will not work" means - do you get an error? the
wrong value?

If AVERAGE() works, then the times are being recognized as numbers, so
MAX() and MIN() should work too.

Cell format (other than Text) has no effect on calculations. Times are
stored as fractional days, so

30 seconds = 30/60/60/24 = 0.000347222222222222

what do you see in your cells when you format them as General?

What are your IF() statements?