Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Approximate match on string of text

I am looking for a solution to the following problem: I have a long list of
companies in an EXCEL sheet, and would like to find, company by company, if
there is an approximate match with a name in another long list.
Concretely, I would like to be able to match €śBlue Circle Productions€ť with
€śBlue Circle Production€ť. Any idea? How would I set the degree of tolerance?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I would assume that when you match €śBlue Circle Productions€ť with €śBlue
Circle Production€ť, you would delete one or the other entry. Is that right?

Are you merging the two lists?

Dennis

"Pierre" wrote in message
I am looking for a solution to the following problem: I have a long list
of
companies in an EXCEL sheet, and would like to find, company by company,
if
there is an approximate match with a name in another long list.
Concretely, I would like to be able to match €śBlue Circle Productions€ť
with
€śBlue Circle Production€ť. Any idea? How would I set the degree of
tolerance?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could try and match the first n characters. Suppose in Col A and Col B
you have the lists. If you need to compare the names in Col B with the ones
in Col A; and return a "YES" or the count of matches...

Comparing the first 10 characters of B1

C1
=COUNTIF(A:A,LEFT(B1,10)& "*")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Pierre" wrote:

I am looking for a solution to the following problem: I have a long list of
companies in an EXCEL sheet, and would like to find, company by company, if
there is an approximate match with a name in another long list.
Concretely, I would like to be able to match €śBlue Circle Productions€ť with
€śBlue Circle Production€ť. Any idea? How would I set the degree of tolerance?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry, I was not precise enough. I would like to flag the names in the first
list that are "close enough" to any name in the second list.
It is a kind of VLOOKUP but with a bit of "fuzzy logic" in it.

"Pierre" wrote in message
I am looking for a solution to the following problem: I have a long list
of
companies in an EXCEL sheet, and would like to find, company by company,
if
there is an approximate match with a name in another long list.
Concretely, I would like to be able to match €śBlue Circle Productions€ť
with
€śBlue Circle Production€ť. Any idea? How would I set the degree of
tolerance?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could also try MATCH() function which returns the row number as below.
Again with the first 10 chrs...

=MATCH(LEFT(B1,10) & "*",A:A,0)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Pierre" wrote in message
I am looking for a solution to the following problem: I have a long list
of
companies in an EXCEL sheet, and would like to find, company by company,
if
there is an approximate match with a name in another long list.
Concretely, I would like to be able to match €śBlue Circle Productions€ť
with
€śBlue Circle Production€ť. Any idea? How would I set the degree of
tolerance?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Pierre,

You might want to try itISFUZZYMATCH() and itFUZZYCOMPARE(), the fuzzy
matching worksheet functions in inspector text:

http://precisioncalc.com/it/itISFUZZYMATCH.html
http://precisioncalc.com/it/itFUZZYCOMPARE.html

They both give you very detailed control over the degree of tolerance
of the fuzzy match.

You'll need to install the Free Edition, which never expires:

http://precisioncalc.com/it/index.html

Good luck,

Greg Lovern

http://PrecisionCalc.com
More Power In Excel

On May 4, 5:46*am, Pierre wrote:
I am looking for a solution to the following problem: I have a long list of
companies in an EXCEL sheet, and would like tofind, company by company, if
there is an approximate match with a name in another long list.
Concretely, I would like to be able to match “Blue Circle Productions” with
“Blue Circle Production”. Any idea? How would I set the degree of tolerance?