Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Text string comparison - closest match

I have data in 2 worksheets, say WS1, WS2

WS1 contains following plus other data
--------------------------------------
FirstName LastName UserID
--------------------------------------
Serine S H Koay WKOAS
Roger Groebi WGROR
Jill Neubronner WNEUJ
Su Ann Low WLOWV
--------------------------------------

WS2 contains following plus other data
--------------------------------------
FirstName LastName UserID
--------------------------------------
Serine Koay
Roger A Groebi
Neubronner Jill
Su Ann Low
--------------------------------------

I need to find userID in WS2 for corresponding names from WS1. I joined
First and Lastnames in both the worksheets, used VLOOKUP and got the
userid in WS2, if the names matches exactly (not shown here). But if
the names doesn't match exactly, as above, VLOOKUP doesn't work.
Eventhough we can see the names are there, but either contain
additional/less initials, reversed first and last name etc.

Is there any other way I can get the result?

--
pappu
pappu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36041

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

See response (a formulas play) in your later post
--
Max
Singapore