Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sum a range that IS NOT NULL

Can someone help me with this.. I know it has to be easier than I am making
it for myself. I am trying to SUM a column contingent on another having a
date entered in it (all on the same ROW). I am putting the sum in a colum off
to the right of them both. I don't want to sum the rows without a date and
the dates are always different.

=IF(C3="date",I3*0.8,0)

Something like this and I will be draggin this formula down Column "J", this
is based on two columns the condition is the date, the dollars is in column
"I"

Please help!!
--
JESSY
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=COUNT(C3)*I3*0.8

NB: true Excel dates are really just *numbers* formatted to look like dates.
So, if the cells might contain a date or a number then you'll have to be
more specific about just checking for a date. You'd have to refine it to
look for dates within a date range.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JKELSTONE" wrote in message
Can someone help me with this.. I know it has to be easier than I am
making
it for myself. I am trying to SUM a column contingent on another having a
date entered in it (all on the same ROW). I am putting the sum in a colum
off
to the right of them both. I don't want to sum the rows without a date and
the dates are always different.

=IF(C3="date",I3*0.8,0)

Something like this and I will be draggin this formula down Column "J",
this
is based on two columns the condition is the date, the dollars is in
column
"I"

Please help!!
--
JESSY

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I've tried all of these..

=IF(C3="date",I3*0.8,0)

=IF(C3="NOTNULL",I3*0.8,0)

=IF(C3="number",I3*0.8,0)

=IF(C3="value",I3*0.8,0)

Column C is a date column only all the way down, Column I is a dollars
column all the way down. I want to create a formula in J3 (Column "J" is my
formula column) that calculates 80% of the dollars in column I but ONLY if
there has been a date entered in column C for that row. IF there has NOT
been a date entered in C3 and that cell is blank then I want "J3" to say "0".

I am thinking it should be very simple like IF C3 is NOT NULL then, complete
the formula, if it is NULL, then it's 0. I am not concerened with the date
itself just the fact that some kind of value is entered in that cell then the
formula is TRUE and it gives me the sum of I3*0.8

The Count function did not work, thank you though.

"JKELSTONE" wrote:

Can someone help me with this.. I know it has to be easier than I am making
it for myself. I am trying to SUM a column contingent on another having a
date entered in it (all on the same ROW). I am putting the sum in a colum off
to the right of them both. I don't want to sum the rows without a date and
the dates are always different.

=IF(C3="date",I3*0.8,0)

Something like this and I will be draggin this formula down Column "J", this
is based on two columns the condition is the date, the dollars is in column
"I"

Please help!!
--
JESSY

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try this =isnumber(C3)*I3*0.8

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"JKELSTONE" wrote in message
Can someone help me with this.. I know it has to be easier than I am
making
it for myself. I am trying to SUM a column contingent on another having a
date entered in it (all on the same ROW). I am putting the sum in a colum
off
to the right of them both. I don't want to sum the rows without a date and
the dates are always different.

=IF(C3="date",I3*0.8,0)

Something like this and I will be draggin this formula down Column "J",
this
is based on two columns the condition is the date, the dollars is in
column
"I"

Please help!!
--
JESSY

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This does work, if I take my columns and paste them values only into a blank
spreadsheet, then format them Dates and Currency like they are in my Master.
So, there must be something with my Master Spreadsheet that is messing with
the formula

Thank you!!

--
JESSY

"Ashish Mathur" wrote:

Hi,

Try this =isnumber(C3)*I3*0.8

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"JKELSTONE" wrote in message
Can someone help me with this.. I know it has to be easier than I am
making
it for myself. I am trying to SUM a column contingent on another having a
date entered in it (all on the same ROW). I am putting the sum in a colum
off
to the right of them both. I don't want to sum the rows without a date and
the dates are always different.

=IF(C3="date",I3*0.8,0)

Something like this and I will be draggin this formula down Column "J",
this
is based on two columns the condition is the date, the dollars is in
column
"I"

Please help!!
--
JESSY

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You are welcome

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"JKELSTONE" wrote in message
This does work, if I take my columns and paste them values only into a
blank
spreadsheet, then format them Dates and Currency like they are in my
Master.
So, there must be something with my Master Spreadsheet that is messing
with
the formula

Thank you!!

--
JESSY

"Ashish Mathur" wrote:

Hi,

Try this =isnumber(C3)*I3*0.8

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"JKELSTONE" wrote in message
Can someone help me with this.. I know it has to be easier than I am
making
it for myself. I am trying to SUM a column contingent on another having
date entered in it (all on the same ROW). I am putting the sum in a
colum
off
to the right of them both. I don't want to sum the rows without a date
and
the dates are always different.

=IF(C3="date",I3*0.8,0)

Something like this and I will be draggin this formula down Column "J",
this
is based on two columns the condition is the date, the dollars is in
column
"I"

Please help!!
--
JESSY

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=COUNT(C3)*I3*0.8
The Count function did not work

=isnumber(C3)*I3*0.8
This does work

Hmmm...

It's not possible that the COUNT version *didn't* work while the ISNUMBER
version did work. Both of those formulas do the same thing but in a
different way.

COUNT will return either 1 or 0
ISNUMBER will return either TRUE or FALSE

In a calculation TRUE and FALSE are the equivalent of 1 and 0.

So, both formulas will return exactly the same result under *every*
condition.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP