Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Nested formula Value error

I have a spreadsheet with sales leads assigned to each salesperson. Several
years ago I created a summary including a formula to count how many leads
each salesperson gets per month:
=SUM(IF($A$3:$A$2870="Jan",IF($L$3:$L$2870="Joe",1 ,0),0)). A is the date
column, L is the salesperson column.

I added a new salesperson and can't get the formula to work! If I copy,
paste and change the "Joe" to "Luke" I get #VALUE!. If I type the formula
with the new name I get the same #VALUE!. If I type the formula & highlight
the areas, same deal. I tried the function wizard but it isn't producing the
formula.

Help! Is there a way to copy or re-write this formula for the new guy and
make it work? Beth
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That is an array-entered formula... after editing it, you need to commit the
function using Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter by itself.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Beth" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with sales leads assigned to each salesperson. Several
years ago I created a summary including a formula to count how many leads
each salesperson gets per month:
=SUM(IF($A$3:$A$2870="Jan",IF($L$3:$L$2870="Joe",1 ,0),0)). A is the date
column, L is the salesperson column.

I added a new salesperson and can't get the formula to work! If I copy,
paste and change the "Joe" to "Luke" I get #VALUE!. If I type the formula
with the new name I get the same #VALUE!. If I type the formula &
highlight
the areas, same deal. I tried the function wizard but it isn't producing
the
formula.

Help! Is there a way to copy or re-write this formula for the new guy and
make it work? Beth

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is an array formula.

Are you hitting ctrl-shift-enter when you're done making your change?

them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can only use the whole column in xl2007.

Beth wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with sales leads assigned to each salesperson. Several
years ago I created a summary including a formula to count how many leads
each salesperson gets per month:
=SUM(IF($A$3:$A$2870="Jan",IF($L$3:$L$2870="Joe",1 ,0),0)). A is the date
column, L is the salesperson column.

I added a new salesperson and can't get the formula to work! If I copy,
paste and change the "Joe" to "Luke" I get #VALUE!. If I type the formula
with the new name I get the same #VALUE!. If I type the formula & highlight
the areas, same deal. I tried the function wizard but it isn't producing the
formula.

Help! Is there a way to copy or re-write this formula for the new guy and
make it work? Beth

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You may want an alternative formula:

=sumproduct(--($a$3:$a$2870="jan"),--($l$3:$l$2870="joe"))

Adjust the ranges to match--but you can't use whole columns (except in xl2007).

=sumproduct() likes to work with numbers. The -- stuff changes trues and falses
to 1's and 0's.

Bob Phillips explains =sumproduct() in much more detail he

And J.E. McGimpsey has some notes at:
http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

And if you're using xl2007, look in Excel's help for =countifs().