Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLOOKUP PROBLEM

I am using VLOOKUP function and even though the look up value is in the table
it is returning a #N/A. I am using FALSE so I am looking for an exact match.
The vlookup IS WORKING when the look up value is mixed characters (ie:
C3089, U5320,etc) but is returning #N/A WHEN the look up value is all numeric
(ie: 30900,35679, etc.)
The formula in the top cell is:
=VLOOKUP(K2,Codes!$A$2:$B$340,2,FALSE)
where K2 is a value to be looked up in the table(which is on another
worksheet in workbook named "Codes" and the left most column contains the
possible choices for the look-up value to match,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Look at Debra Dalgleish's site for troubleshooting your =vlookup()
formula:
'Excel -- Worksheet Functions -- VLookup'
(http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble)

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=91337

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It sounds like one of your numeric sets is actually formatted at text. Given
your description, it is probably the set that is mixed with the
alpha-numerics.

You can test this by using =ISTEXT(cell reference). If it returns TRUE,
then you can convert the numbers you are looking up into text by using this:

=VLOOKUP(""&K2,Codes!$A$2:$B$340,2,FALSE)

Let me know if that works.

PJ