Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel is seeing the date as dd/mm/yyyy

I have a column of dates that I'd like to use in a formula. Problem is Excel
sees the dates as dd/mm/yyyy when they are actually entered as mm/dd/yyyy.
For example the date entered in the cell is 10/17/1980 and Excel see the 17
as the month.

A second question although not as important as the first is, and I have seen
this before in other spreadsheets, why is it in that column of dates some of
the cells are actually seen as mm/dd/yyyy and some seen as dd/mm/yyyy.

Manual formatting does not work at all. I am thinking I need a formula to
switch the month and date around.

Thanks so much.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dear Lisa

I think the basic issue you have is the format in which you have your data
in the sheet. Is that imported from somewhere or a csv file which you have
opened..

Try this....
Select the column--From menu..Data--Text to Columns..Next..Next will bring
you to the Wizard Step 3 of 3

Then select Date option button and select the format you require. MDY or DMY
as required . Hit Finish..

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Lisa" wrote:

I have a column of dates that I'd like to use in a formula. Problem is Excel
sees the dates as dd/mm/yyyy when they are actually entered as mm/dd/yyyy.
For example the date entered in the cell is 10/17/1980 and Excel see the 17
as the month.

A second question although not as important as the first is, and I have seen
this before in other spreadsheets, why is it in that column of dates some of
the cells are actually seen as mm/dd/yyyy and some seen as dd/mm/yyyy.

Manual formatting does not work at all. I am thinking I need a formula to
switch the month and date around.

Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You are welcome..

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Lisa" wrote:

I have a column of dates that I'd like to use in a formula. Problem is Excel
sees the dates as dd/mm/yyyy when they are actually entered as mm/dd/yyyy.
For example the date entered in the cell is 10/17/1980 and Excel see the 17
as the month.

A second question although not as important as the first is, and I have seen
this before in other spreadsheets, why is it in that column of dates some of
the cells are actually seen as mm/dd/yyyy and some seen as dd/mm/yyyy.

Manual formatting does not work at all. I am thinking I need a formula to
switch the month and date around.

Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thax Jacob