Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Euro symbol displays as dollar symbol in Excel

I cannot seem to get the Euro symbol to display correctly in Excel.
I enter the symbol using either ALT 0128 or the InsertSymbol function, but
as soon as I leave the cell, it displays as $ (which is my default currency).
I'm using Windows XP and Excel 2003. I've tried several fonts, including
Tahoma, Arial and Times New Roman. The GBP symbol and the Yen symbol display
correctly.
A solution would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Brenda
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Since you see it then it changes - you may check your autocorrect entries -
there might be one correcting Euro to Dollar.
First just disable autocorrect (Tools-AutoCorrect). If it solves the
problem then look for an entry for Euro symbol.

I cannot seem to get the Euro symbol to display correctly in Excel.
I enter the symbol using either ALT 0128 or the InsertSymbol function, but
as soon as I leave the cell, it displays as $ (which is my default currency).
I'm using Windows XP and Excel 2003. I've tried several fonts, including
Tahoma, Arial and Times New Roman. The GBP symbol and the Yen symbol display
correctly.
A solution would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Brenda

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your quick response, Sheeloo.
However, Autocorrect doesn't seem to be the problem. Turning the various
options off or on makes no difference to my problem. I checked down the list
just in case, but there are no Euro symbols. Smart tags is disabled too.

"Sheeloo" wrote:

Since you see it then it changes - you may check your autocorrect entries -
there might be one correcting Euro to Dollar.
First just disable autocorrect (Tools-AutoCorrect). If it solves the
problem then look for an entry for Euro symbol.

I cannot seem to get the Euro symbol to display correctly in Excel.
I enter the symbol using either ALT 0128 or the InsertSymbol function, but
as soon as I leave the cell, it displays as $ (which is my default currency).
I'm using Windows XP and Excel 2003. I've tried several fonts, including
Tahoma, Arial and Times New Roman. The GBP symbol and the Yen symbol display
correctly.
A solution would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Brenda

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What is your system currency system... it is likely to be Euro...

Mine is $... I changed my currency format in Excel to Euro.. now when I
enter $ it changes to ‚¬ (Euro)

Change your system currency to EURO...

"Sheeloo" wrote:

Since you see it then it changes - you may check your autocorrect entries -
there might be one correcting Euro to Dollar.
First just disable autocorrect (Tools-AutoCorrect). If it solves the
problem then look for an entry for Euro symbol.

I cannot seem to get the Euro symbol to display correctly in Excel.
I enter the symbol using either ALT 0128 or the InsertSymbol function, but
as soon as I leave the cell, it displays as $ (which is my default currency).
I'm using Windows XP and Excel 2003. I've tried several fonts, including
Tahoma, Arial and Times New Roman. The GBP symbol and the Yen symbol display
correctly.
A solution would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Brenda

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

My default is $ (Australia). But the British Pound symbol and the Japanese
Yen symbol display correctly. It's only the Euro symbol that reverts to a $.
If I have to keep changing my default, I'll just continue using an "E"
instead.
Thanks for your help.

"Sheeloo" wrote:

Since you see it then it changes - you may check your autocorrect entries -
there might be one correcting Euro to Dollar.
First just disable autocorrect (Tools-AutoCorrect). If it solves the
problem then look for an entry for Euro symbol.

I cannot seem to get the Euro symbol to display correctly in Excel.
I enter the symbol using either ALT 0128 or the InsertSymbol function, but
as soon as I leave the cell, it displays as $ (which is my default currency).
I'm using Windows XP and Excel 2003. I've tried several fonts, including
Tahoma, Arial and Times New Roman. The GBP symbol and the Yen symbol display
correctly.
A solution would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Brenda

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Why are you entering with Alt + 0128 or Insert Symbol rather than just
selecting Euro from FormatCellsCurrencySymbol?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP