Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default entering a number and having a word appear in excel

Can anyone tell me, in microsoft excel, how do i type a number in a cell and
have a word appear in that same cell instead of the number. Is this even
possible.
For example: if i type in 7131 i want the word drafting to appear.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

It's possible but only with code and I think you've simplified the problem
for the purposes of asking the question. If you explain in detail a more
complete list of substitutions then someone will help.

Mike

"kdill" wrote:

Can anyone tell me, in microsoft excel, how do i type a number in a cell and
have a word appear in that same cell instead of the number. Is this even
possible.
For example: if i type in 7131 i want the word drafting to appear.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the reply. I am a teacher and what i am trying to do is set up a
master schedule for all the courses in our school. Each course has a name
and a number associated with it. For instance the course number is 7131 and
the name is architecture. I am usually working with the course numbers, but
the teachers work with the course name. i want to set up a list of all the
names of the courses and have them linked to the the number, so that i can
type in the number to a master schedule and instead of that number displayed
in the cell i want the course name displayed in the cell.

"kdill" wrote:

Can anyone tell me, in microsoft excel, how do i type a number in a cell and
have a word appear in that same cell instead of the number. Is this even
possible.
For example: if i type in 7131 i want the word drafting to appear.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Can I suggest a different approach which involves an additional column.
Build a table somewhere out of the way with course numbers and names. I used
columns I & J and it looks like this:

1 Math
2 Engineering
3 Physics
4 Chemistry
5 Latin
6 Spanish
7 Detention
8 Expulsion

Now lest say you enter course numbers in column A, put this in b1 and drag
down

=IF(COUNTA(A1)=0,"",VLOOKUP(A1,$I$1:$J$8,2,FALSE))

Now entering a course number in column A gives the descriptive name in
column B

Mike

"kdill" wrote:

Can anyone tell me, in microsoft excel, how do i type a number in a cell and
have a word appear in that same cell instead of the number. Is this even
possible.
For example: if i type in 7131 i want the word drafting to appear.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you have to have this happen in the same cell, code is not your only option.
You could use AutoCorrect, although I would suggest using a prefix to avoid
problems. As an example, if you want "7131" to be changed to "Architecture", I
would use "**7131" so you could still enter "7131" if you needed it for
something else.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...CL100570551033