Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Drop Down Starting Position

I have a drop down list in a data validated cell with blank items at the
bottom of the list (to allow for addition user-entered choices). Is there any
way, when you click on the drop down arrow, for the menu to start at the top
instead of the bottom? Did I do something wrong?

Thanks,
Jeff
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Get rid of the blank cells and just turn off the error alert if you want to
be able to enter what's not in the list.

The user-entered choices do get get added to the list in any case unless you
use VBA code.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:13:01 -0700, veggies27
wrote:

I have a drop down list in a data validated cell with blank items at the
bottom of the list (to allow for addition user-entered choices). Is there any
way, when you click on the drop down arrow, for the menu to start at the top
instead of the bottom? Did I do something wrong?

Thanks,
Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Mis-read.

If you are including blanks for adding to a list, the first blank cell will
always be default.

Use a dynamic range for the input range.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for naming dynamic ranges.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

And this site for adding items to a DV list.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal08.html#Dynamic

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP