Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default If Date Function

I would like to add the dates that someone is employed which is easy if you
have a Job Start Date and Job End Date. I just go something like C1-B1 and
format the calculating cell into a number. However, what do I want to tell
it if End Date is blank, calculate it by todays date?

Job Start Date Job End Date Days Employed
4/1/2009 7/1/2009 91
4/5/2009 -39908

--
Rose
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

A1 = start date
B1 = end date (or empty)

=IF(A1="","",IF(B1="",TODAY(),B1)-A1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rose" wrote in message
I would like to add the dates that someone is employed which is easy if you
have a Job Start Date and Job End Date. I just go something like C1-B1
and
format the calculating cell into a number. However, what do I want to
tell
it if End Date is blank, calculate it by todays date?

Job Start Date Job End Date Days Employed
4/1/2009 7/1/2009 91
4/5/2009 -39908

--
Rose

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(B1="",TODAY()-A1,B1-A1)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Rose" wrote:

I would like to add the dates that someone is employed which is easy if you
have a Job Start Date and Job End Date. I just go something like C1-B1 and
format the calculating cell into a number. However, what do I want to tell
it if End Date is blank, calculate it by todays date?

Job Start Date Job End Date Days Employed
4/1/2009 7/1/2009 91
4/5/2009 -39908

--
Rose

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think you will need to test for A1 being blank (as Biff's approach did),
otherwise today's date will be returned on all "empty" rows your formula is
copied down to.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Jacob Skaria" wrote in message
=IF(B1="",TODAY()-A1,B1-A1)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Rose" wrote:

I would like to add the dates that someone is employed which is easy if
you
have a Job Start Date and Job End Date. I just go something like C1-B1
and
format the calculating cell into a number. However, what do I want to
tell
it if End Date is blank, calculate it by todays date?

Job Start Date Job End Date Days Employed
4/1/2009 7/1/2009 91
4/5/2009 -39908

--
Rose

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

try this
=IF(B2<"",B2-A2,TODAY()-A3)

--
Hope this is helpful

Pls click the Yes button below if this post provide answer you have asked

Thank You

cheers, francis

Am not a greek but an ordinary user trying to assist another

"Rose" wrote:

I would like to add the dates that someone is employed which is easy if you
have a Job Start Date and Job End Date. I just go something like C1-B1 and
format the calculating cell into a number. However, what do I want to tell
it if End Date is blank, calculate it by todays date?

Job Start Date Job End Date Days Employed
4/1/2009 7/1/2009 91
4/5/2009 -39908

--
Rose

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Rick. I assume job start date to be mandatory..

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria