Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Remove Zero Formula

How can I change this formula =SUM(B5:D5) so that it will return a blank cell
instead of a zero if B5:D5 is empty?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

TGalin wrote:
How can I change this formula =SUM(B5:D5) so that it will return a blank cell
instead of a zero if B5:D5 is empty?

=IF(your_formula=0,"",your_formula)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

TGalin wrote:
How can I change this formula =SUM(B5:D5) so that it will return a blank cell
instead of a zero if B5:D5 is empty?

Or, maybe this:

=IF(COUNT(B5:D5)=0,"",SUM(B5:D5))
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:33:01 -0700, TGalin
wrote:

How can I change this formula =SUM(B5:D5) so that it will return a blank cell
instead of a zero if B5:D5 is empty?

Put it inside an IF statement that tests for it, and returns "" instead
of 0.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 14:38:58 -0600, Glenn wrote:

TGalin wrote:
How can I change this formula =SUM(B5:D5) so that it will return a blank cell
instead of a zero if B5:D5 is empty?

=IF(your_formula=0,"",your_formula)

Exactly.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

TGalin wrote:
How can I change this formula =SUM(B5:D5) so that it will return a
blank cell instead of a zero if B5:D5 is empty?

=IF(your_formula=0,"",your_formula)

If the range might include positive/negative/zero numbers that actually sum
to zero, a zero result would be more informative than an empty-string
result. Another poster suggested a different formula that does this:
=IF(COUNT(B5:D5)=0,"",SUM(B5:D5))

(I know, "picky, picky.")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

pomegranate-man wrote:
TGalin wrote:
How can I change this formula =SUM(B5:D5) so that it will return a
blank cell instead of a zero if B5:D5 is empty?

=IF(your_formula=0,"",your_formula)

If the range might include positive/negative/zero numbers that actually sum
to zero, a zero result would be more informative than an empty-string
result. Another poster suggested a different formula that does this:
=IF(COUNT(B5:D5)=0,"",SUM(B5:D5))

(I know, "picky, picky.")

"another poster" = same poster

I had the same thoughts when I re-read the OP's request..."if B5:D5 is empty" is
different than "if B5:D5 equals zero".