Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CC CC is offline

Default automatically update date

The formulas =now() and =today() in two of our worksheets no longer work.
They used to automatically update the date when the worksheet was opened.
The same formulas work in other worksheets. Any idea why they are no longer
working. We want the date to automatically update to that day's date
whenever the worksheet is opened.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is excel in autocalculation mode?

Tools|Options|calculation tab (in xl2003 menus) is where you'd toggle this
setting.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CC CC is offline

Yes. It is in autocalculation mode. What is really weird is that the
formulas used to work.

cc wrote:

The formulas =now() and =today() in two of our worksheets no longer work.
They used to automatically update the date when the worksheet was opened.
The same formulas work in other worksheets. Any idea why they are no longer
working. We want the date to automatically update to that day's date
whenever the worksheet is opened.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There is a windows registry setting that can be changed so that newer versions
of excel recalculate these links in the same manner that earlier versions of
excel used.

Jim Rech posted this:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...GP11.phx .gbl

But I don't think this is the solution. But if you try it and it works, please
post back.

cc wrote:

The formulas =now() and =today() in two of our worksheets no longer work.
They used to automatically update the date when the worksheet was opened.
The same formulas work in other worksheets. Any idea why they are no longer
working. We want the date to automatically update to that day's date
whenever the worksheet is opened.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CC CC is offline

We are using Excel 2003. The version hasn't changed. These are existing
worksheets that all of a sudden stopped automatically updating the date.
Literally, worked one day, then didn't work the next.

cc wrote:

The formulas =now() and =today() in two of our worksheets no longer work.
They used to automatically update the date when the worksheet was opened.
The same formulas work in other worksheets. Any idea why they are no longer
working. We want the date to automatically update to that day's date
whenever the worksheet is opened.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't have a real guess, but what I'd try is this.

Open the file
Select all the cells
edit|replace
what: = (equal sign)
with: =
replace all

This will force excel to recalc all the formulas.

Then save the file and close it.

You can wait until tomorrow to test it or fiddle with the windows system date
and see what happens.