Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Vlookup Problem

Hi All,

I am dealing with a vlookup issue that i just can't figure out. I
have a vlookup statement that works fine, something to the extent of
vlookup(1.001, A1:C10, 9) for example. However, when i change 1.001
to a cell reference say C30 where C30 = 1.001, it doesn't work!!!!

i can't for the life of me figure out why not. the help says
referencing a cell for the lookup value should work fine.

Any thoughts?!?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I should also note that in cell C30 is calculated like =C29 + .001
where C29 is 1. It doesn't like this for some reason.

if i put in C29 just 1.001 then it works.

On Apr 1, 11:59*am, busboy10 wrote:
Hi All,

I am dealing with a vlookup issue that i just can't figure out. *I
have a vlookup statement that works fine, something to the extent of
vlookup(1.001, A1:C10, 9) for example. *However, when i change 1.001
to a cell reference say C30 where C30 = 1.001, it doesn't work!!!!

i can't for the life of me figure out why not. *the help says
referencing a cell for the lookup value should work fine.

Any thoughts?!?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe the value in C30 is being recognized as text. Make sure that cell
is formatted as 'General' or similar format (except text), and then
re-enter the number 1.001 in C30.

Hope this helps!

http://www.xl-central.com

In article
,
busboy10 wrote:

Hi All,

I am dealing with a vlookup issue that i just can't figure out. I
have a vlookup statement that works fine, something to the extent of
vlookup(1.001, A1:C10, 9) for example. However, when i change 1.001
to a cell reference say C30 where C30 = 1.001, it doesn't work!!!!

i can't for the life of me figure out why not. the help says
referencing a cell for the lookup value should work fine.

Any thoughts?!?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

*busboy10 wrote:
I should also note that in cell C30 is calculated like =C29 + .001
where C29 is 1. *It doesn't like this for some reason.

if i put in C29 just 1.001 then it works.

On Apr 1, 11:59*am, busboy10 wrote:
Hi All,

I am dealing with a vlookup issue that i just can't figure out. *I
have a vlookup statement that works fine, something to the extent of
vlookup(1.001, A1:C10, 9) for example. *However, when i change 1.001
to a cell reference say C30 where C30 = 1.001, it doesn't work!!!!

i can't for the life of me figure out why not. *the help says
referencing a cell for the lookup value should work fine.

Any thoughts?!?

I am wondering if it is a precision issue since these are decimals. I
have made sure that everything is listed as a number. C29 is just a
static value of 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

If your range is only A1:C10, then how can the column index be 9? The
column index should be any number upto 3

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com