Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Automatic adding in a single cell w/o equal sign

how do I automatically in a single cell input 5+5 without the equal sign and
have a total come up
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Let's use cell B9 as an example. Insert the following event macro in the
worksheet code area:

Dim r As Range
Set r = Range("B9")
v = r.Value
If Intersect(r, Target) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
r.Value = Evaluate(v)
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Because it is worksheet code, it is very easy to install and automatic to use:

1. right-click the tab name near the bottom of the Excel window
2. select View Code - this brings up a VBE window
3. paste the stuff in and close the VBE window

If you have any concerns, first try it on a trial worksheet.

If you save the workbook, the macro will be saved with it.

To remove the macro:

1. bring up the VBE windows as above
2. clear the code out
3. close the VBE window

To learn more about macros in general, see:

To learn more about Event Macros (worksheet code), see:

Gary''s Student - gsnu200841

"jacky" wrote:

how do I automatically in a single cell input 5+5 without the equal sign and
have a total come up

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you for the information Gary, however; I need to do this in several
cells where i am able to add in the individual cell. Can you help

"jacky" wrote:

how do I automatically in a single cell input 5+5 without the equal sign and
have a total come up

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Tell me about the cells. Are they in some column or row ??
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200842

"jacky" wrote:

how do I automatically in a single cell input 5+5 without the equal sign and
have a total come up

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I just want capability to be able to add numbers in each cell using the
keyboard for example:

5+5 then enter button will give me 10
I would like to do that in each cell.

"jacky" wrote:

how do I automatically in a single cell input 5+5 without the equal sign and
have a total come up

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Jacky
Maybe this will help if I understand your question.
If you use a lot your numeric keypad for your calculations, start with a + on
the keypad instead of the = sign, e.g. +5+5-5, +5*5.etc. The + sign is handy
right beside your numbers.
You should know that in the future, Microsoft will stop using that function and
you will need to use the = sign.
Its a backward compatibility with Lotus123 and is no longer used.

HTH
John

"jacky" wrote:

how do I automatically in a single cell input 5+5 without the equal sign
and
have a total come up

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here is a small variation of the code I posted before. Be sure you delete
the old code before installing this version:

Dim r As Range
Set r = Target
v = r.Value