Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default period delimited numbering for Excel sheet?

I need to develop an automated method for adding period-delimited
hierarchical numbering of cells. The pattern would be something like:

1.0
1.1
1.1.1
1.2
1.2.1
1.2.1.1
1.2.1.2
1.2.1.3
1.2.1.3.1
1.2.1.3.2
1.2.1.3.2.1
2.0
2.1
2.1.1
2.1.2
2.1.2.1
2.1.2.2

etc

how can I do this for and unlimited number of rows? I don't see a standard
format for this.

Thanks for suggestions

Dave G.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You haven't given us any information about the criteria for promoting
or demoting the numbers. This could easily be done with a formula if
you had the data in "helper cells" and defined a rule-set with IF
statements.
You need to define the following:
How will the hierarchy be determined?
How will Excel know to demote to the next level?
How will Excel know to promote up (and how far)?