Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Percentages

I am currently working on an Accounting project. Here's my issue. Say I
have 85%. My proffessor wants us to enter that number in a cell and have it
display as the number 85, but it actually be a percentage. Can anyone help
me????
--
Ryan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I see three ways to approach this:

Option 1) Input the percentage as a decimal (0.85). Now, right click on
cell, select format. Choose percentage, limit decimals to 0. Cell should now
display 85%.

Option 2) If you only want displayed "85", this seems a poor way to display
a percentage as there is not symbol indicating such. However, perhaps your
results are from a formula, in which case you should just multiply your value
by 100.
=0.85*100

option 3) similar to option 2, but work backwards. Just enter your value as
85 into the one cell, but in whatever formula you have that deals with this
value, first divide by 100.
=85/100+TheRestOfYourFormula
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Ryan" wrote:

I am currently working on an Accounting project. Here's my issue. Say I
have 85%. My proffessor wants us to enter that number in a cell and have it
display as the number 85, but it actually be a percentage. Can anyone help
me????
--
Ryan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I agree it is a poor way to represent a percentage. However, I am not
calculating it from a formula. This is the way my professor wants the
worksheet to appear:

In cell A1: Purchase Adjustments as a % of Net Purchases
and then in B1 beside of A1 he wants the number 20 to appear, but actually
represent a percentage without the percent sign. It is really strange, but
I've been trying everything in the world and I cannot figure it out. I truly
appreciate your help though. If you have any more suggestions please let me
know...THANKS!!!!!
--
Ryan

"Ryan" wrote:

I am currently working on an Accounting project. Here's my issue. Say I
have 85%. My proffessor wants us to enter that number in a cell and have it
display as the number 85, but it actually be a percentage. Can anyone help
me????
--
Ryan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If there are no formulas involved (either leading up to, or following), why
not just simply enter the data as 20?
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Ryan" wrote:

I am currently working on an Accounting project. Here's my issue. Say I
have 85%. My proffessor wants us to enter that number in a cell and have it
display as the number 85, but it actually be a percentage. Can anyone help
me????
--
Ryan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Ryan" wrote:
I am currently working on an Accounting project. Here's my issue.
Say I have 85%. My proffessor wants us to enter that number in a
cell and have it display as the number 85 but it actually be a percentage.
Can anyone help me????

The operative word is "be". As I believe you know, 85% is the value 0.85.
I don't know of any format that scales a value by 100, which is you would
need in order to display 0.85 as 85.

I think what you want -- what the professor wants -- is for you to __use__
the number as a percentage. For example, if you enter 85 into A1, and in
B1, you want a formula that takes "A1" percent of a value in C1, the formula
would be: =C1*A1/100.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Clarification....

I wrote:
I don't know of any format that scales a value by 100, which is you would
need in order to display 0.85 as 85.

I should say "scales by 100, but does not show %". Of course, the
Percentage format scales by 100. But it shows the "%", which is what Ryan's
professor does not want.

Percentages steve Excel Worksheet Functions 2 September 14th 07 05:10 PM
percentages Nilufer New Users to Excel 1 July 11th 07 04:08 PM
percentages kthornton Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 May 30th 06 11:42 PM
Percentages quiddity Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 September 13th 05 05:03 PM
percentages johnsmith Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 August 16th 05 07:17 PM