Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Change Date

when i type any date in mmm-yy(Mar/09) format the excel sheet allways shows
the date in formula bar as 03/09/2009
why its so?
if i type the same date in my friends system it shows as 03/01/2009

how to change the setup
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Mar-09 should be stored as 9th day of March of 2009 in both systems...
Yours will show it as 3/9/2009 as yours seems to have mm/dd/yyyy as the
system date format. Your friend's system should show it as 9/3/2009....

If you leave out the year, current year is assumed...

"Ranjith Kurian" wrote:

when i type any date in mmm-yy(Mar/09) format the excel sheet allways shows
the date in formula bar as 03/09/2009
why its so?
if i type the same date in my friends system it shows as 03/01/2009

how to change the setup

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No. Mar-09 is often (usually, in my experience) interpreted as mmm-yy, and
therefore as 1st March 09.
Your settings must be different, Sheeloo.

I would suggest that Ranjith and his friend compare their settings in
Windows Regional Options (in Control Panel), as that is what usually governs
how input data is interpreted. Formatting of cells affects how numbers are
displayed once having been stored as a number.
--
David Biddulph

"Sheeloo" just remove all As... wrote
in message ...

"Ranjith Kurian" wrote:

when i type any date in mmm-yy(Mar/09) format the excel sheet allways
shows
the date in formula bar as 03/09/2009
why its so?
if i type the same date in my friends system it shows as 03/01/2009

how to change the setup

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I tested with both 2007 and 2003 and got 3/9/2009 for mar-09...

I have just re-installed both... which setting should I check? Regional
settings are mm/dd/yyyy

"Ranjith Kurian" wrote:

when i type any date in mmm-yy(Mar/09) format the excel sheet allways
shows
the date in formula bar as 03/09/2009
why its so?
if i type the same date in my friends system it shows as 03/01/2009

how to change the setup

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I get the same as Sheeloo... if I type in Mar-09, the date becomes 3/9/2009,
not 3/1/2009... so my system is interpreting Mar-09 as mmm-dd and then
tacking on the current year.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Ranjith Kurian" wrote:

when i type any date in mmm-yy(Mar/09) format the excel sheet allways
shows
the date in formula bar as 03/09/2009
why its so?
if i type the same date in my friends system it shows as 03/01/2009

how to change the setup

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I get that behaviour (9th March) if I set my Windows Regional Options to
MM/dd/yyyy, but if I change the Options back to dd/MM/yyyy it treats Mar-09
as 1st March 2009
--
David Biddulph