Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JPS JPS is offline

Default Split Cell using If or other function

I have a remarks column of text data that I need to split into multiple
columns based on a date in the text. Data in this text column is grouped by,
for example, FILE #01-08, FILE #25-08 or FILE #15-09. The -08 in the heading
is the year. Following each file date heading is summary text of what is in
the file. I have data in the single column for 2006 €“ 2009 that I need
separated into new columns. A sample in this column would be for example:
File #01-08 Transferred Arthur Anderson from Project Accounting to No Cost
Accounting
File #15-08 Fred Flintstone, was promoted to head Rock Engineer.
File #19-09 Alex Bell hired as Telephone Inventor

I need to know if there is a way to search (using IF or other functions) the
text for the year and when I find File #XX-06, copy that data for year 2006
to a new column, then 2007 to a new column through 2009 to a new column. The
desired result is that comments for each year will be in a separate column.
In the example above, File #01-08 and 15-08 would be in one column and File
19-09 in a separate column.

As always thanks for the expert help.