Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Drop Down list predicated on other drop down lists

I am creating a part numbering system using drop down boxes. Drop down box 1
consists of main categories. Drop down box 2 is for sub categories of drop
box 1. I need to kow what function(s) to use to so that drop down box 2 only
supllies valid options based on the value in drop box 1.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi
what kind of drop down? combo box? data validation?
see this site for starters. the first page is for data validation. but there
are other pages for combo boxes. snoop around.

regards
FSt1

"ab-original" wrote:

I am creating a part numbering system using drop down boxes. Drop down box 1
consists of main categories. Drop down box 2 is for sub categories of drop
box 1. I need to kow what function(s) to use to so that drop down box 2 only
supllies valid options based on the value in drop box 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You need the OFFSET function as demonstrated in this example:

Here are the steps for creating a dynamic data validation list:

1. Create three or more list in the spreadsheet. For example:
A B C
New York Quebec Canada
Seattle Toronto US
Miami Victoria

You would name lists: US (A1:A3), Canada (B1:B3), Countries (C1:C2) this
last is optional

2. Select the cell where you want the initial validation list, for this
example, D1
3. Choose Data, Validation
4. From the Allow drop-down and choose List
5. In the Source box enter the following formula
=Countries
6. Move to the location where you want the dynamic (changing) list to
appear, say for example E1
7. Choose Data, Validation, List and in the Source box enter the formula
=INDIRECT(D1)

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire