Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional Formatting to Show Red Highlight in Text Field

Hello. I have text values in column D that contain the word Saturday. I
need a conditional format that turns the cells red to use in column D to find
those cells that contain Saturday. I think a formula can be used in
conditional formatting but I am unsure what it can be. How can I do this?
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What's wrong with a conditional format of:
Value is: Saturday
Format: red color
?

Regards,
Fred.

"Daren" wrote in message
Hello. I have text values in column D that contain the word Saturday. I
need a conditional format that turns the cells red to use in column D to
find
those cells that contain Saturday. I think a formula can be used in
conditional formatting but I am unsure what it can be. How can I do this?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

To clarify, you want all cells in column D that say "Saturday" to have red
background?

Format-Condition Format, Cell value is equal to "Saturday". Choose red
pattern.

Or, if you wanted a corresponding column to change color
Formula is:
=D1="Saturday"
and then pick pattern, and copy cell down as desired.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Daren" wrote:

Hello. I have text values in column D that contain the word Saturday. I
need a conditional format that turns the cells red to use in column D to find
those cells that contain Saturday. I think a formula can be used in
conditional formatting but I am unsure what it can be. How can I do this?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I tried that but it did not take, and I think that is due to the fact that
there are other words in the cell, such as The First (Saturday). Is there a
way to get around this? Thanks.

"Daren" wrote in message
Hello. I have text values in column D that contain the word Saturday. I
need a conditional format that turns the cells red to use in column D to
find
those cells that contain Saturday. I think a formula can be used in
conditional formatting but I am unsure what it can be. How can I do this?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Not totally...the cells in column D can also have other words in it, such as
The First (Saturday). I want the conditional format to show red whenever the
word Saturday appears in the cell regardless of how many other different
words there are. Do you know how to do this? Thanks.

"Daren" wrote:

Hello. I have text values in column D that contain the word Saturday. I
need a conditional format that turns the cells red to use in column D to find
those cells that contain Saturday. I think a formula can be used in
conditional formatting but I am unsure what it can be. How can I do this?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ah.
formula for CF is
=ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Saturday",D1))
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Daren" wrote:

Hello. I have text values in column D that contain the word Saturday. I
need a conditional format that turns the cells red to use in column D to find
those cells that contain Saturday. I think a formula can be used in
conditional formatting but I am unsure what it can be. How can I do this?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try this as your condtional formatting formula

=ISNUMBER(FIND("Saturday",A1))

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Daren" wrote in message
Hello. I have text values in column D that contain the word Saturday. I
need a conditional format that turns the cells red to use in column D to
find
those cells that contain Saturday. I think a formula can be used in
conditional formatting but I am unsure what it can be. How can I do this?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I should also mention that if you are using 2007 there is a simplier way:

Highlight the data and choose Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cell
Rules, Text that Contains and enter Saturday.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Daren" wrote in message
Hello. I have text values in column D that contain the word Saturday. I
need a conditional format that turns the cells red to use in column D to
find
those cells that contain Saturday. I think a formula can be used in
conditional formatting but I am unsure what it can be. How can I do this?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

One more comment - the difference between FIND and SEARCH with regards to
your situation - FIND is case sensitive while SEARCH is not.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire