Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Comparing two different columns - looking for similar data

I have 2 columns with names
I want to have a 3rd column with only the names that match
Is there a function for doing this
--
Carla Heimbigner
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is one list longer than the other?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Cheimbig" wrote in message
I have 2 columns with names
I want to have a 3rd column with only the names that match
Is there a function for doing this
--
Carla Heimbigner

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok, try this...

Assume:

Long list in the range A2:A329
Short list in the range B2:B163

Create these named ranges...
Goto the menu InsertName Define
Name: Llist
Refers to: =$A$2:$A$329

Name: Slist
Refers to: =$B$2:$B$163

Enter this formula in cell D1. This will return the number of matches.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH(Slist,Llist,0))))

Enter this array formula** in D2:

=IF(ROWS(D$2:D2)<=D$1,INDEX(Slist,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBE R(MATCH(Slist,Llist,0)),ROW(Slist)),ROWS(D$2:D2))-MIN(ROW(Slist))+1),"")

key then hit ENTER.

Copy down until you get blanks meaning all matches have been extracted.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Cheimbig" wrote in message
I have 2 columns with names
I want to have a 3rd column with only the names that match
Is there a function for doing this
--
Carla Heimbigner

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You can use advanced filters as well.

1. Assume you have 2 lists as follows. List 1 (including heading) is in
range C4:C13 and List 2 (including heading) is in range D4:D9

List 1 List 2
A A
S T
D Y
f H
g G

2. Type condition in C16;
3. Type =COUNTIF($C$5:$C$13,D5)=1 in C17
4. Type List 2 in cell C21
5. Now go to Data Advanced Filter and click "Copy to another location"
6. In the list range, select C4:D13;
7. In the criteria range, select C16:C17
8. In the Copy to box, please refer cell C21
9. Now click on OK

Please not that this in not a dynamic solution. If any entry in List 1 or
List 2 changes, you will have to rerun the advanced filter.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Cheimbig" wrote in message
I have 2 columns with names
I want to have a 3rd column with only the names that match
Is there a function for doing this
--
Carla Heimbigner

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can I just send one of you the file --- neither of these worked for me - so I
am clearly doing something wrong.
--
Carla Heimbigner

"Ashish Mathur" wrote:

Hi,

You can use advanced filters as well.

1. Assume you have 2 lists as follows. List 1 (including heading) is in
range C4:C13 and List 2 (including heading) is in range D4:D9

List 1 List 2
A A
S T
D Y
f H
g G

2. Type condition in C16;
3. Type =COUNTIF($C$5:$C$13,D5)=1 in C17
4. Type List 2 in cell C21
5. Now go to Data Advanced Filter and click "Copy to another location"
6. In the list range, select C4:D13;
7. In the criteria range, select C16:C17
8. In the Copy to box, please refer cell C21
9. Now click on OK

Please not that this in not a dynamic solution. If any entry in List 1 or
List 2 changes, you will have to rerun the advanced filter.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Cheimbig" wrote in message
I have 2 columns with names
I want to have a 3rd column with only the names that match
Is there a function for doing this
--
Carla Heimbigner

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Send it to me. I'm at:

xl can help at comcast period net

Remove "can" and change the obvious. If the file is big, zip it.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Ashish Mathur" wrote:

Hi,

You can use advanced filters as well.

1. Assume you have 2 lists as follows. List 1 (including heading) is in
range C4:C13 and List 2 (including heading) is in range D4:D9

List 1 List 2
A A
S T
D Y
f H
g G

2. Type condition in C16;
3. Type =COUNTIF($C$5:$C$13,D5)=1 in C17
4. Type List 2 in cell C21
5. Now go to Data Advanced Filter and click "Copy to another location"
6. In the list range, select C4:D13;
7. In the criteria range, select C16:C17
8. In the Copy to box, please refer cell C21
9. Now click on OK

Please not that this in not a dynamic solution. If any entry in List 1
or
List 2 changes, you will have to rerun the advanced filter.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Cheimbig" wrote in message
I have 2 columns with names
I want to have a 3rd column with only the names that match
Is there a function for doing this
--
Carla Heimbigner

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You can send me the file at .

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Ashish Mathur" wrote:

Hi,

You can use advanced filters as well.

1. Assume you have 2 lists as follows. List 1 (including heading) is in
range C4:C13 and List 2 (including heading) is in range D4:D9

List 1 List 2
A A
S T
D Y
f H
g G

2. Type condition in C16;
3. Type =COUNTIF($C$5:$C$13,D5)=1 in C17
4. Type List 2 in cell C21
5. Now go to Data Advanced Filter and click "Copy to another location"
6. In the list range, select C4:D13;
7. In the criteria range, select C16:C17
8. In the Copy to box, please refer cell C21
9. Now click on OK

Please not that this in not a dynamic solution. If any entry in List 1
or
List 2 changes, you will have to rerun the advanced filter.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP