Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Comparing two different columns - looking for similar data

Send it to me. I'm at:

xl can help at comcast period net

Remove "can" and change the obvious. If the file is big, zip it.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Cheimbig" wrote in message
Can I just send one of you the file --- neither of these worked for me -
so I
am clearly doing something wrong.
--
Carla Heimbigner

"Ashish Mathur" wrote:

Hi,

You can use advanced filters as well.

1. Assume you have 2 lists as follows. List 1 (including heading) is in
range C4:C13 and List 2 (including heading) is in range D4:D9

List 1 List 2
A A
S T
D Y
f H
g G

2. Type condition in C16;
3. Type =COUNTIF($C$5:$C$13,D5)=1 in C17
4. Type List 2 in cell C21
5. Now go to Data Advanced Filter and click "Copy to another location"
6. In the list range, select C4:D13;
7. In the criteria range, select C16:C17
8. In the Copy to box, please refer cell C21
9. Now click on OK

Please not that this in not a dynamic solution. If any entry in List 1
or
List 2 changes, you will have to rerun the advanced filter.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Cheimbig" wrote in message
I have 2 columns with names
I want to have a 3rd column with only the names that match
Is there a function for doing this
--
Carla Heimbigner