Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Parsing Column of Numbers into 5 separate columns

I have a single column of labels and column numbers that I must split apart
into 5 columns. Each of the 5 columns could be up to 121 rows.

The source column is coming out of XML. Opening the XML in Excel gives me a
column of labels in column "I" followed by a column of values in column "J".
The labels is used for a column with the values in the next column.

Where I want to end up is to have all five columns starting in row 2.

Is there a way to do this by formula or an array? I would prefer to not use
VBA.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dkline wrote:
I have a single column of labels and column numbers that I must split apart
into 5 columns. Each of the 5 columns could be up to 121 rows.

The source column is coming out of XML. Opening the XML in Excel gives me a
column of labels in column "I" followed by a column of values in column "J".
The labels is used for a column with the values in the next column.

Where I want to end up is to have all five columns starting in row 2.

Is there a way to do this by formula or an array? I would prefer to not use
VBA.

The structure of your source data isn't completely clear. I will assume the
easiest and if this doesn't work, post more details.

Assuming the first five entries in column I are your new column A:E headers and
they repeat in order all the way down the column, put the following in A1 and
copy across to E1:

=INDIRECT("I"&(ROW()-1)*5+COLUMN())

Then put the this in B2 and copy across to E2 and down as needed:

=INDIRECT("J"&(ROW()-1)*5-5+COLUMN())