Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ian Ian is offline

Default Arrays/vlookup???

Hi I am very much an amateur with excel I only really use it to build product
sheets and recipe templates. I am basically trying to do this and I can't
seem to figure it out ( I don't speak excel too well)....

I have a recipe card on sheet 2
In cell A10 I would type in an ingredient "flour"
and what I would like it to do is put my cost per/g in cell g10 which is
linked to my master price list
here is the catch I have over 300+ recipes and I don't want to manually link
all of my G cells with the master price list
I would like to copy and paste my recipes into my current template and link
corresponding words with the appropriate cell on a different sheet. Is this
possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You could use the VLOOKUP() function here. Please read up on the same in
the Help menu.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Ian" wrote in message
Hi I am very much an amateur with excel I only really use it to build
product
sheets and recipe templates. I am basically trying to do this and I can't
seem to figure it out ( I don't speak excel too well)....

I have a recipe card on sheet 2
In cell A10 I would type in an ingredient "flour"
and what I would like it to do is put my cost per/g in cell g10 which is
linked to my master price list
here is the catch I have over 300+ recipes and I don't want to manually
link
all of my G cells with the master price list
I would like to copy and paste my recipes into my current template and
link
corresponding words with the appropriate cell on a different sheet. Is
this
possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK you want to type in the indgredent in one cell and then the
cost pe grams will auto popluate in another cell.
OK on sheet two column A list you indg. in column list the cost per gram.

ok so in sheet
lets say col a is the ingredent and colm b is the grams.
in column b type
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(a1,SHEET2!$A$1:$B$500,2,FALSE))," ",VLOOKUP(A1,SHEET2!$A$1:$b$500,2,FALSE))

this set to have 500 indg

"Ian" wrote:

Hi I am very much an amateur with excel I only really use it to build product
sheets and recipe templates. I am basically trying to do this and I can't
seem to figure it out ( I don't speak excel too well)....

I have a recipe card on sheet 2
In cell A10 I would type in an ingredient "flour"
and what I would like it to do is put my cost per/g in cell g10 which is
linked to my master price list
here is the catch I have over 300+ recipes and I don't want to manually link
all of my G cells with the master price list
I would like to copy and paste my recipes into my current template and link
corresponding words with the appropriate cell on a different sheet. Is this
possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ian Ian is offline

"Ian" wrote:

Hi I am very much an amateur with excel I only really use it to build product
sheets and recipe templates. I am basically trying to do this and I can't
seem to figure it out ( I don't speak excel too well)....

I have a recipe card on sheet 2
In cell A10 I would type in an ingredient "flour"
and what I would like it to do is put my cost per/g in cell g10 which is
linked to my master price list
here is the catch I have over 300+ recipes and I don't want to manually link
all of my G cells with the master price list
I would like to copy and paste my recipes into my current template and link
corresponding words with the appropriate cell on a different sheet. Is this
possible?

OK this is still a bit confusing let me show you what i was trying to do which didn't work this is an example....

this look up was in my recipe card temple on sheet 2

=LOOKUP(A10{"Almond","Bananas","Bananas2","Butter" ,"Chocdark","Cream","Currants","Flour",€¯Honey"," Cinamon","Bpowder","Milk","Pecan","Strawberry","Su gar","Vanilla","Walnut","Yeast"},{Sheet1!H11,Sheet 1!H3,Sheet1!H5,Sheet1!H28,Sheet1!H31,Sheet1!H13,Sh eet1!H6,Sheet1!H30,Sheet1!H14,Sheet1!H15,Sheet1!H1 6,Sheet1!H17,Sheet1!H18,Sheet1!H19,Sheet1!H21,Shee t1!H20,Sheet1!H29,Sheet1!H7,Sheet1!H22})

I was using my recipe template(sheet 2) on a different sheet then my master
price list(sheet 1) so i wanted the cells in G 1-50*(sheet 2) on my recipe
card to be linked to the price on the master price list I was also hoping to
be able to just type in an ingredient on my recipe card template in cell A
1-50*(sheet 2) and it would automatically link my G cells(sheet 2).
Thanks ian
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ian Ian is offline

"Ian" wrote:

Hi I am very much an amateur with excel I only really use it to build product
sheets and recipe templates. I am basically trying to do this and I can't
seem to figure it out ( I don't speak excel too well)....

I have a recipe card on sheet 2
In cell A10 I would type in an ingredient "flour"
and what I would like it to do is put my cost per/g in cell g10 which is
linked to my master price list
here is the catch I have over 300+ recipes and I don't want to manually link
all of my G cells with the master price list
I would like to copy and paste my recipes into my current template and link
corresponding words with the appropriate cell on a different sheet. Is this
possible?

this is an example of the look up i used: its on my recipe card template on sheet 2 or 3 or what ever recipe car it corresponds to. what I was trying to accomplish was whenever i typed in and ingredient into cell A 1-50*(recipe card template) it would put the cost per gram in cell G1-50* (recipe card template)

but it needs to gather that info from cell H 1-1000* on sheet 1(master price
list)

=LOOKUP(A10{"Almond","Bananas","Bananas2","Butter" ,"Chocdark","Cream","Currants","Flour",€¯Honey"," Cinamon","Bpowder","Milk","Pecan","Strawberry","Su gar","Vanilla","Walnut","Yeast"},{Sheet1!H11,Sheet 1!H3,Sheet1!H5,Sheet1!H28,Sheet1!H31,Sheet1!H13,Sh eet1!H6,Sheet1!H30,Sheet1!H14,Sheet1!H15,Sheet1!H1 6,Sheet1!H17,Sheet1!H18,Sheet1!H19,Sheet1!H21,Shee t1!H20,Sheet1!H29,Sheet1!H7,Sheet1!H22})

If I use this

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(a1,SHEET2!$A$1:$B$500,2,FALSE))," ",VLOOKUP(A1,SHEET2!$A$1:$b$500,2,FALSE))

and change my master price list cell order from H (price per g)
to B (price per gram) how would i get that info to correlate to a diff sheet??
thanks Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ian Ian is offline

Hi
just wanted to thank you for all the help the formula worked perfectly!!
Cheers,
Ian