Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I use an if formula that works on a cell with column?

I am using this formula =IF(ISBLANK($C8),($E8),($E8)) and it is working on
individual cells. My issue is when refreshing the data I don't know how many
cells will need to be included. Can I use a similar formula for the entire
column?
Thanks, Karen
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What is the formula supposed to do? The True and False actions are the same.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"KarenABS" wrote in message
I am using this formula =IF(ISBLANK($C8),($E8),($E8)) and it is working on
individual cells. My issue is when refreshing the data I don't know how
many
cells will need to be included. Can I use a similar formula for the
entire
column?
Thanks, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Oh - it is supposed to check to see if there is text in the column and if
that is true it copies from one column to another.
(I am sorry I posted this multiple times - I kept getting an error message!)
Thanks, Karen

"KarenABS" wrote in message
I am using this formula =IF(ISBLANK($C8),($E8),($E8)) and it is working on
individual cells. My issue is when refreshing the data I don't know how
many
cells will need to be included. Can I use a similar formula for the
entire
column?
Thanks, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You would need to put the formula in column A. Because formula do not copy
and paste anything, they just return values to the cell where the formula is.

Second, if you are really trying to test for text in column C then you
should be using the ISTEXT(C8) function because ISBLANK tests for numbers,
text, dates, anything in the cell, not just text.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"KarenABS" wrote in message
I am using this formula =IF(ISBLANK($C8),($E8),($E8)) and it is working on
individual cells. My issue is when refreshing the data I don't know how
many
cells will need to be included. Can I use a similar formula for the
entire
column?
Thanks, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks to everyone...I had the formula in the right cell I had just wanted to
make it work for the entire column but instead I just copied the formula past
where the current data is and that should work for them.