Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Vlookup question

Hi,

Instead of creating a huge nested if function I'm trying to use vlookup. I
would like vlookup to look at text in a cell, find its exact match from a
list, then return the text next to it in the list, in another cell.

Here is the formula I have created: =VLOOKUP(C3, C193:E198, E3)

For example, if C3 has the text "one" it returns "red" to E3.

One Red
Two Blue
Three Green
Four Yellow

Thanks,

Craig
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Craig;218033 Wrote:
Hi,

Instead of creating a huge nested if function I'm trying to use
vlookup. I
would like vlookup to look at text in a cell, find its exact match from
list, then return the text next to it in the list, in another cell.

Here is the formula I have created: =VLOOKUP(C3, C193:E198, E3)

For example, if C3 has the text "one" it returns "red" to E3.

One Red
Two Blue
Three Green
Four Yellow

Thanks,

Craig

Try =VLOOKUP(C3, $C$193:$E$198, 2)

Checkout the VLOOKUP syntax in XL's help

--
Pecoflyer

Cheers -
*'Membership is free' (http://www.thecodecage.com)* & allows file
upload -faster and better answers

*Adding your XL version* to your post helps finding solution faster
Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=59899

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

copy and paste this into E3

=VLOOKUP(C3,$C$193:$B$198,2,0)

HTH
--
Pls provide your feedback by clicking the Yes button below if this post have
help you. This will help others to search the archives for result better.

Thank You

cheers, francis

"Craig" wrote:

Hi,

Instead of creating a huge nested if function I'm trying to use vlookup. I
would like vlookup to look at text in a cell, find its exact match from a
list, then return the text next to it in the list, in another cell.

Here is the formula I have created: =VLOOKUP(C3, C193:E198, E3)

For example, if C3 has the text "one" it returns "red" to E3.

One Red
Two Blue
Three Green
Four Yellow

Thanks,

Craig

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Technically if you mean by "exact match" case as well as spelling then the
vanilla VLOOKUP needs some modification:

=LOOKUP(TRUE,EXACT(E3,A1:A13),B1:B13)

Where the entry you want to lookup is in cell E3 and the lookup column is
A1:A13 and the data you want returned is in B1:B13.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire