Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Drilling down pivot data to classes

Hi experts,

I have an application to track action item status - "open", "close",
"postponed", and "overdue".
For this I set up the source data to give these info as well the year
and calendar week. This I pivoted and charted to get the amount of
"open", "close", "postponed", and "overdue" items per week/year. It
works well.

Now I want to get a picture how long items remain open, similar to:
http://www.iceincusa.com/16CSP/content/gifs/mm_3.gif

For this I extended my source data and the corresponding PT by the
additional columns "days open" (=TODAY()-showUpDate) and "weeks
open" (=ROUND(daysOpen/7;0) for each item entry.

Example: for an item showed up at 2008-06-17 and being still open, the
days open are 232 and the weeks open are 33.
A pivot chart is showed by http://tinyurl.com/bh2zg4

But, now I want to show the values of "weeks open" as clusters of 2
(or an individual defineable range)

How should I set up my source data / PT? --- Do I need "helper
columns" for each class?

Thanks for your assistance!
Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Michael,

If you use your "Weeks Open" field as a row field (the left-most is better) you can right-click it
and choose group, and then fill in the step as 2, 3, 4 whatever...

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Michael.Tarnowski" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Feb 4, 10:01 pm, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org
wrote:
[...]

Bernie,
GREAT! - it works.

Does Grouping works only by row fields? - Sorry for my ignorance, but
I'am narrowing down myself to secrets of PTs ;-)
Michael
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bernie,
GREAT! - it works.

Does Grouping works only by row fields? - Sorry for my ignorance, but
I'am narrowing down myself to secrets of PTs ;-)

It works on columns too - you can just drag the button of interest to the
column area, right-click it, choose Group, etc.

Bernie