Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CM CM is offline

Default Help with IF Statemet

I am trying to use an If(And) Statement and I keep getting "False" Returned

MY spreadsheet has 5 columns one is for names and one is for revenue. I want
to label Items Yes when
- certain names appear in a column,
- when other names appear in a column if the revenue associated with that
name is below a certain threshold. I have been using the following but it
keeps returning "False". Can you not use IF and If(And) in the same
statement? Or am I jjust writing it incorrectly?

I am using
=IF(A1="Bob","Yes",IF(A1="Simon","Yes",IF(AND(A1=" John",B1<131),"Yes","No")))

Any help would be well received

CM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The formula seems okay. Check that you have exact names in your data
and not any leading or trailing spaces. You might like to use TRIM(A1)
rather than A1 to get rid of them.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 2, 12:54*pm, CM wrote:
I am trying to use an If(And) Statement and I keep getting "False" Returned

MY spreadsheet has 5 columns one is for names and one is for revenue. I want
to label Items Yes when
*- certain names appear in a column,
- when other names appear in a column if the revenue associated with that
name is below a certain threshold. I have been using the following but it
keeps returning "False". Can you not use IF and If(And) in the same
statement? Or am I jjust writing it incorrectly?

I am using
=IF(A1="Bob","Yes",IF(A1="Simon","Yes",IF(AND(A1=" John",B1<131),"Yes","No")*)) *

Any help would be well received

CM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I do not believe that the formula you quoted can return False.
If you tried to type it in, recheck your typing, or better copy and paste.
Copy from your formula bar and paste here if you want us to check.
If you are still convinced that it is returning False, what values do you
have in A1, B1, and C1, then we can suggest some diagnostic intermediate
formulae to help you to debug what you've got.
--
David Biddulph