Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Is there a function like Vlookup that works with cell colors?

I have a spreadsheet that has Name, Task, Time....

Because the same person might do multiple tasks, the cells are color coded.
So i have....ex. John and his cell is yellow. Among his taks are sweeping,
dusting, cleaning windows they are also highlighted in yellow.

What i want to do in a formula is to type John's name and for his tasks to
be looked up by the color so I can have the following...

John Sweeping
Dusting
Cleaning windows

is this possible with any of the formulas in excel? I really need the help
because John needs to get going with his taks :)

Thank you for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Formulas generally do not affect the formatting of a cell - instead,
they return results of some calculation.

You would need some VBA to do what you describe.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 30, 10:34*pm, Jose wrote:
I have a spreadsheet that has Name, Task, Time....

Because the same person might do multiple tasks, the cells are color coded. *
So i have....ex. *John and his cell is yellow. *Among his taks are sweeping,
dusting, cleaning windows they are also highlighted in yellow.

What i want to do in a formula is to type John's name and for his tasks to
be looked up by the color *so I can have the following...

John *Sweeping
* * * * *Dusting
* * * * *Cleaning windows

is this possible with any of the formulas in excel? *I really need the help
because John needs to get going with his taks :)

Thank you for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Show us a sample of your data layout and the results you want. As stated,
I'm not sure why you are looking for a color.
Are you saying that on a row beside John all the tasks are listed and those
that he does are color coded? And that you want a vlookup to return the
yellow cell contents?

Why not just list the tasks that John does? Then a vlookup would work easily.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire