Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula Needed

In a worksheet column I have a begining date in month, day, year, hour,
minute format, in the next column I have a ending month, day, year , hour,
minute format. I need to calculate the elapsed days, hours, mintues from the
being to the end. PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN. I don't need to join the ranks
of unemployment.
Thanks
Oscar
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you have entered dates then the format of hours and minutes is not relevant.

If you have entered dates and times then the question is do you want to
display the results in one cell and what do you want it to look like:

12.4:25 meaning 12 days 4 hours and 25 minutes or do you want it to display:
"12 days 4 hours and 25 minutes" or do you want the days in one cell the
hours in another and the minutes in yet another?

For example, here is one option

=INT(C1-A1)&" Days "&TEXT(MOD(C1-A1,1),"[hh]:mm")

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Oscar A. Brown" wrote:

In a worksheet column I have a begining date in month, day, year, hour,
minute format, in the next column I have a ending month, day, year , hour,
minute format. I need to calculate the elapsed days, hours, mintues from the
being to the end. PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN. I don't need to join the ranks
of unemployment.
Thanks
Oscar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If your data are genuine Excel dates and times, rather than text, then you
can use the formula
=INT(B1-A1)&" days "&TEXT(MOD(B1-A1,1),"hh:mm")
--
David Biddulph

"Oscar A. Brown" <Oscar A. wrote in message
In a worksheet column I have a begining date in month, day, year, hour,
minute format, in the next column I have a ending month, day, year , hour,
minute format. I need to calculate the elapsed days, hours, mintues from
the
being to the end. PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN. I don't need to join the
ranks
of unemployment.
Thanks
Oscar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Shane:
I will try to make it clearer on what i need, since i'm new at this.
In column A the info reads, 01/04/2009 11:45pm
In column B the info reads, 01/06/2009 01:10pm
i want the ending datain column C to read 1 day 13 hours 25 minutes.

"Oscar A. Brown" wrote:

In a worksheet column I have a begining date in month, day, year, hour,
minute format, in the next column I have a ending month, day, year , hour,
minute format. I need to calculate the elapsed days, hours, mintues from the
being to the end. PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN. I don't need to join the ranks
of unemployment.
Thanks
Oscar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=INT(B1-A1)&" day"&IF(INT(B1-A1)1,"s "," ")&
HOUR(B1-A1)&" hour"&IF(HOUR(B1-A1)1,"s "," ")&
MINUTE(B1-A1)&" minute"&IF(MINUTE(B1-A1)1,"s","")

"Oscar A. Brown" wrote:

In a worksheet column I have a begining date in month, day, year, hour,
minute format, in the next column I have a ending month, day, year , hour,
minute format. I need to calculate the elapsed days, hours, mintues from the
being to the end. PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN. I don't need to join the ranks
of unemployment.
Thanks
Oscar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

First step is to select your data and use Edit/ Replace to change
pm
pm
(ie. space pm)
to get the data from text into a format which excel regards as a data and
time.

Then use =INT(B1-A1)&" day "&TEXT(MOD(B1-A1,1),"hh"" hours"" mm""
minutes""")
--
David Biddulph

"Oscar A. Brown" wrote:

In a worksheet column I have a begining date in month, day, year, hour,
minute format, in the next column I have a ending month, day, year ,
hour,
minute format. I need to calculate the elapsed days, hours, mintues
from the
being to the end. PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN. I don't need to join the
ranks
of unemployment.
Thanks
Oscar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the feedback, see David's post for a slight change that will make
the display the way you want.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Oscar A. Brown" wrote:

In a worksheet column I have a begining date in month, day, year, hour,
minute format, in the next column I have a ending month, day, year , hour,
minute format. I need to calculate the elapsed days, hours, mintues from the
being to the end. PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN. I don't need to join the ranks
of unemployment.
Thanks
Oscar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

David:
The Formula you gave me worked, except that when i calculate the day hour &
minutes on paper I come up with 1 day 13 hours 25 minutes. the formula when
it calculated it came back with 1 day 13 hours 10 minutes. what's up with
that. Thanks
Oscar

"Oscar A. Brown" wrote:

In a worksheet column I have a begining date in month, day, year, hour,
minute format, in the next column I have a ending month, day, year ,
hour,
minute format. I need to calculate the elapsed days, hours, mintues
from the
being to the end. PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN. I don't need to join the
ranks
of unemployment.
Thanks
Oscar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It sounds as if you need to look carefully at the values in your data cells.
Either that or recheck the formula.
Your result would be consistent with
=INT(B1-A1)&" day "&TEXT(MOD(B1,1),"hh"" hours"" mm"" instead of
=INT(B1-A1)&" day "&TEXT(MOD(B1-A1,1),"hh"" hours"" mm""
If you tried to retype the formula, don't do that. Copy the formula from
the newsgroup and paste it into the formula bar of your cell.
--

&