Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default question about SUM - how to sum each for elements

Hi

I have a problem with function SUM.

I have column A with numbers, and column B where I want to sum
elements from column A by four numbers together. So I put into B:
SUM(A1:A4)
SUM(A5:A8)
SUM(A9:A12)
SUM(A13:A16)
etc...

Is there any chance, to do it automaticly? I tried with everything
what I know. If I simply mark this, and pull down, Excel make it:
SUM(A1:A4)
SUM(A2:A5)
SUM(A3:A6)
SUM(A4:A7)
etc...

I was tring with different adressation $ or without $. But I couldn't
get that result.

I will be happy for any suggestions.
Hamster

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this...

Assume you want the results to appear starting in cell B1.

Enter this formula in B1 and copy down as needed:

=SUM(OFFSET(A$1,(ROWS(B$1:B1)-1)*4,,4))

B1 will be the sum of A1:A4
B2 will be the sum of A5:A8
B3 will be the sum of A9:A12
B4 will be the sum of A13:A16
etc
etc

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

another way (not so neat as Biff's unfortunately), in A1:

=SUM(INDIRECT("A"&ROW()+3*(ROW()-1)&":A"&ROW()+3*(ROW())))

then copy down

HIH

wrote in message

Hi

I have a problem with function SUM.

I have column A with numbers, and column B where I want to sum
elements from column A by four numbers together. So I put into B:
SUM(A1:A4)
SUM(A5:A8)
SUM(A9:A12)
SUM(A13:A16)
etc...

Is there any chance, to do it automaticly? I tried with everything
what I know. If I simply mark this, and pull down, Excel make it:
SUM(A1:A4)
SUM(A2:A5)
SUM(A3:A6)
SUM(A4:A7)
etc...

I was tring with different adressation $ or without $. But I couldn't
get that result.

I will be happy for any suggestions.
Hamster- Ukryj cytowany tekst -

- Pokaż cytowany tekst -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote in message

[...]

Excelent!

Thank You both, guys! Can you tell me, where can I find any
informations about this solutions? What should I put into google to
find some description, becouse I need to use something like this in
different functions also.

Hamster
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome!

As far as where to look for help on formulas...

It's hard to be very specific since just about every formula is unique for
its application.

Here are a couple of websites that have a lot of info on various
functions/formulas:

http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/MainPage.aspx

http://contextures.com/

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

welcome
I'd follow Biff's suggestions
cause I used sources mentioned by him when I was learning formulae...
;-)