Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Adding Days

Column A has dates, and column B has sales figures for the respective dates.

I'm trying to use =SUMIF to add together all the "Mondays" and the rest of
the days of the week, and =COUNTIF to count the number of "Mondays" so that I
can get a value that tells me how much each day's average is approximately.
I've gotten this far, then got stuck because I have no idea what to do:

=SUMIF(A2:A200,"Monday",B2:B200)

Your help's appreciated ahead of time :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is this what you are looking for?

=SUMIF(A2:A200,"Monday",B2:B200)/COUNTIF(A2:A200,"Monday")

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Toast" wrote in message
Column A has dates, and column B has sales figures for the respective
dates.

I'm trying to use =SUMIF to add together all the "Mondays" and the rest of
the days of the week, and =COUNTIF to count the number of "Mondays" so
that I
can get a value that tells me how much each day's average is
approximately.
I've gotten this far, then got stuck because I have no idea what to do:

=SUMIF(A2:A200,"Monday",B2:B200)

Your help's appreciated ahead of time :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If your dates are true Excel dates then:

=SUMIF(A2:A200,"Monday",B2:B200)

Won't work!

Try this array formula** :

=AVERAGE(IF(WEEKDAY(A2:A200,2)=n,B2:B200))

Where n is the number of the weekday of interest:

Monday = 1
Tuesday = 2
Wednesday = 3
Sunday = 7

n can be a cell reference that holds the weekday number:

D2 = 1 (for Monday)

=AVERAGE(IF(WEEKDAY(A2:A200,2)=D2,B2:B200))

key then hit ENTER.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP