Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Serial Number

Dear Folks
I have a problem in numbering. for ex say i have put number 1 to 10. if I
delete one number in betwen still last munber is 10. how i can define the
formula to get automaticaly 9 than 10

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

To serialize it downwards ...
Place in any starting cell,
say in B2: =ROWS($1:1)
Copy down as far as required to generate: 1,2,3,...
--
Max
Singapore
"Fareez" wrote:
I have a problem in numbering. for ex say i have put number 1 to 10. if I
delete one number in betwen still last munber is 10. how i can define the
formula to get automaticaly 9 than 10

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pub pub is offline

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in
:

If I delete a row (or delete a cell and move up), that leaves a gap in
the number series.
--
David Biddulph

i guess in this case

=ROWS(A$1:A1)

would work better.
then fill down, and delete rows in the middle, and it will adjust

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No, pub, it wouldn't.
If you delete a row in the middle (or delete a cell and move up), that
formula too will leave a gap.
--
David Biddulph

"pub" wrote in message

i guess in this case

=ROWS(A$1:A1)

would work better.
then fill down, and delete rows in the middle, and it will adjust

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in
:

If I delete a row (or delete a cell and move up), that leaves a gap in
the number series.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

"David Biddulph"
If I delete a row (or delete a cell and move up), that leaves a gap in
the number series.

Think the earlier suggestion should work ok, ie it'll auto-adjust for entire
row deletions, which was what I guess the OP is asking for. Other than that
scenario, for eg: delete a cell and move up (as you mentioned) I agree it
doesn't work.

I'm not sure why you say it doesn't work for entire row deletions
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
Downloads:22,500 Files:370 Subscribers:66
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It's interesting that it behaves differently depending on the starting
point.

If I put =ROWS($1:1) or =ROWS(A$1:A1) in row 1 and copy down I get a series
starting at 1.
If I also put the same formulae in row 11 and copy down, I get another
series starting at 1.

If I then delete row 12, for example, the first series continues, with the
cells which were showing 13 changing to 12 as they are moved upwards, but
the second series becomes discontinuous, with number 2 disappearing as
number 3 moves up from row 13 into what now becomes row 12, so the series is
now 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. with 2 missing.
--
David Biddulph

"Max" wrote in message
"David Biddulph"
If I delete a row (or delete a cell and move up), that leaves a gap in
the number series.

Think the earlier suggestion should work ok, ie it'll auto-adjust for
entire row deletions, which was what I guess the OP is asking for. Other
than that scenario, for eg: delete a cell and move up (as you mentioned) I
agree it doesn't work.

I'm not sure why you say it doesn't work for entire row deletions
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
Downloads:22,500 Files:370 Subscribers:66
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

It's interesting that it behaves differently depending on the starting
point...

In the context of my response to the OP, any entire row deletion(s) within
the formulated range, ie within B2:Bx itself will not disrupt the numbering.
It'll auto-adjust.