Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default I need a formula to add numbers to the result in same cell.

I hope this is the correct place to pose this question:

How do I write the formulas for cell C3 and C4 so cells C3 and C4 continue
to derive a cummulative total adding the amounts in column C beginning in
cell C10?

A B C D
1
2
3 Total credits (C3)=If C10=0, then add it to the
results
currently displayed in cell
C3, but. If C10=<0,
then add 0 (zero) to the
results currently
displayed in cell C3.
4 Total debits (C4)=If C10=<0, then add it to the
results
currently displayed in cell
C4, but, If C10=0,
then add 0 (zero) to the
results currently
displayed in cell C4.
5
6
7
8
9 Date Description Amount
10 08/29 Bill (128.42)
11 09/10 Deposit 1232.00
12 09/11 Food (332.00)
13 10/01 Deposit 1232.00

Is this making sense to anyone but me? I just don't know how to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This creates a circular formula, and based on your formulas, would only
continue to increase the cells values if your conditions are met. Example: C3
= 2, C10 = 5, thus C3 becomes 7. But, C10 is still greater than 0, so now C3
becomes 12, and then 17, etc.
To see this, try typing in c3
=C3+C10
Then keep pressing F9 (manual calculation)
Also, your conditions include 0 for both operations. Mathematically, you
can't do this. But as you would be adding 0, its works (sorta)

A better way might be to use some neighboring cells, such as D3 and D4.
d3:
=IF(C10=0,C3+C10,C3)
d4:
IF(C10<=0,C4+C10,C4)