Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLOOKUP (Using Multiple Arguments)

I posted here earlier about the defect code question using the IF function
(but I needed more than 7 arguments).

You helpful people informed me about the VLOOKUP function and it's worked
great... here is my data

301 Phone Locked (PIN)
332 Incorrect Software
360 Service Required
363 Cannot Detect SIM Card
371 No Data Service
407 Cosmetic Defect-Trackball
414 Debris/Fingerprints/Moisture Spots
415 Display Lens Scratched
492 Cosmetic Defect
500 Charging Problem (Battery)
502 Charger Problem (Wall Charger)

+ More but I didn't list them all...

My formula is: =VLOOKUP(E3,H:I,2,0)

And it works great for taking the Defect Code and turning it into what the
actual defect is in text.

My question is:

Can I change that formula to include more than one defect code... say the
phone has a Cosmetic Defect (492) and No Data Service (371)... is there a way
to type "371, 492" into the cell and then have it displayed in text in the
cell over?

Long question short: Is there a way to use VLOOKUP with multiple defect
codes in one cell?

Can A1 have "371, 492" then B1 have "No Data Service, Cosmetic Defect"?

I browsed the help area and it's written TERRIBLY... thanks for all help!

Ryan F
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Easier way would be to use seperate cells, but as long as you follow the
format of 3 digit codes, and only need 2, could do:
=VLOOKUP(VALUE(LEFT(A1,3)),H:I,2,0)&", "&VLOOKUP(VALUE(RIGHT(A1,3)),H:I,2,0)
Formula extracts the two values, performs the VLOOKUPS, then concatenates
the results.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M