Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Cross-referencing dates in Excel gantt chart

Hi,

Using the workday function, a series of if statements and conditional
formatting Ive created a Gantt chart in Excel that pretty much behaves like
a Gantt chart in Microsoft Excel.

You fill in a table of dates, choose who is responsible for the task and the
Gantt chart populates automatically. Pretty much the final thing I want to do
with it is allow the person filling it out to choose the predecessor task.

At the moment, each task starts a day after the task in the row above.
Currently, the table of dates looks like this:

Column A €“ Task number (1,2,3,4,5 etc.)
Column B €“ Task name
Column C €“ Task owner (determines conditional formatting of bar cells in
Gantt chart)
Column D €“ Task start date
Column E €“ Task end date
Column F €“ Task duration

The start date of the first task is entered manually, after that start dates
are the end date of previous task + 1 working day. This is mostly ok, but
sometimes the dependency isnt on the previous task, it may on a task two or
three lines up.

What I want to do is insert a new column G, labelled €śPredecessor€ť. Instead
of the start date being €śprevious task + 1 working day€ť the start date cell
for each task would look at the task number in column G. It would match this
to the corresponding value in column A (task number) and take the €śend date
of specified task +1€ť as its start date.

Is there any way I can do this or am i just expecting far too much of Excel?

Thanks

Karl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=INDEX(E:E,MATCH(G3,A:A,0))+1

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Karl" wrote in message

[...]

What I want to do is insert a new column G, labelled "Predecessor".
Instead
of the start date being "previous task + 1 working day" the start date
cell
for each task would look at the task number in column G. It would match
this
to the corresponding value in column A (task number) and take the "end
date
of specified task +1" as its start date.

Is there any way I can do this or am i just expecting far too much of
Excel?

Thanks

Karl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry to be dense, but in which column does this formula go?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=INDEX(E:E,MATCH(G3,A:A,0))+1

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Column G - as per your request?

"Karl" wrote:

Sorry to be dense, but in which column does this formula go?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=INDEX(E:E,MATCH(G3,A:A,0))+1

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You were asking for a formula to calculate the start date of subsequent
rows, so column D.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Karl" wrote in message
Sorry to be dense, but in which column does this formula go?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=INDEX(E:E,MATCH(G3,A:A,0))+1

--
HTH