Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Which function should I use

I need to create a spread sheet so that when I type in a particular number in
a cell in column A, particular set numbers appear in other Columns. For
instance: every time I type 123 in column A; 456 will appear in column C; and
789 will appear in column E. How to do this? Remember, I am a novice. Talk
to me in beginner terms. Thanks
--
Novice
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

drnlds wrote:
I need to create a spread sheet so that when I type in a particular number in
a cell in column A, particular set numbers appear in other Columns. For
instance: every time I type 123 in column A; 456 will appear in column C; and
789 will appear in column E. How to do this? Remember, I am a novice. Talk
to me in beginner terms. Thanks

I doubt this simplistic answer will fit the bill, but you have not given
any more detail to consider, so for starters:

In C1: =IF(A1=123,456,"")
In E1: =IF(A1=123,789,"")

If this fails, expand your question in logical terms. If you type "123"
in column A what do you really expect? IOW, In what ways are columns C
and E dependent on the value in column A?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

--
Novice

"smartin" wrote:

drnlds wrote:
I need to create a spread sheet so that when I type in a particular number in
a cell in column A, particular set numbers appear in other Columns. For
instance: every time I type 123 in column A; 456 will appear in column C; and
789 will appear in column E. How to do this? Remember, I am a novice. Talk
to me in beginner terms. Thanks

I doubt this simplistic answer will fit the bill, but you have not given
any more detail to consider, so for starters:

In C1: =IF(A1=123,456,"")
In E1: =IF(A1=123,789,"")

If this fails, expand your question in logical terms. If you type "123"
in column A what do you really expect? IOW, In what ways are columns C
and E dependent on the value in column A?

Thanks for the quick responce!!!
I will start with what you have given me. Ok, here is the story... I have
several thousand entries to make which are in about 80 different catagories.
If I can enter the 80 catagories it will go sooooo much faster.
It is an audit of sorts. I have to prove my my books against another set of
books.
The first number (which will be in column A) is "my" reference. It needs to
automatically be linked to two other numbers in two different columns. I
will have about 80 different combinations to enter in column A linked to
their corresponding numbers in the other two columns. I want to type "my"
reference numbers and the others automatically come up in their columns. It
Sounds like I will need two formulas. One to link the cells and one to tell
the spreadsheet to fill in something when I enter certain numbers. I hope
this explains it better. I so appreciate your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

drnlds wrote:

[...]

Somewhere you need to create a table that cross-references "your"
numbers with the other two (maybe you already have this?) It might look
like this:

A B C
123 456 789

If your original sheet is Sheet1 and the cross-reference is on Sheet2,
the formulae on Sheet1 would look like

C1 =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:C,2,false)
E1 =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:C,3,false)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm back; At this point there are no sheets. I have the info on hard
copies, I have to create something to send in. I will have to create the
table, I have never done this. Other than a few basic math formulas and
tacking how many days have past from a given date (to keep track of my
invoices), I am not familiar know much in excel.

If I have entered A B C
line 1 123 456
789

what do I do so that when I type 123 on any other line in column A the
other two numbers will just pop up

Novice