Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
smartin smartin is offline

Default Which function should I use

drnlds wrote:

Thanks for the quick responce!!!
I will start with what you have given me. Ok, here is the story... I have
several thousand entries to make which are in about 80 different catagories.
If I can enter the 80 catagories it will go sooooo much faster.
It is an audit of sorts. I have to prove my my books against another set of
books.
The first number (which will be in column A) is "my" reference. It needs to
automatically be linked to two other numbers in two different columns. I
will have about 80 different combinations to enter in column A linked to
their corresponding numbers in the other two columns. I want to type "my"
reference numbers and the others automatically come up in their columns. It
Sounds like I will need two formulas. One to link the cells and one to tell
the spreadsheet to fill in something when I enter certain numbers. I hope
this explains it better. I so appreciate your help.

Somewhere you need to create a table that cross-references "your"
numbers with the other two (maybe you already have this?) It might look
like this:

A B C
123 456 789

If your original sheet is Sheet1 and the cross-reference is on Sheet2,
the formulae on Sheet1 would look like

C1 =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:C,2,false)
E1 =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:C,3,false)