Old January 8th 09, 07:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula to pull first word from text string in a column

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me with a formula. I have a column in
a spreadsheet that has the following types of text (for example):

Subaru WRX
Subaru STI
Jeep Wrangler
Jeep Grand Cherokee

What I am looking for is a formula to pull the first word from the column
and put it in another column, say column T.

Thank you in advance!

Old January 8th 09, 07:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

assuming your data is in column A.

=LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1)
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

Old January 8th 09, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1)

You may want to add some error handling if there isn't always more than one
word.
=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(" ",A2)-1),LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1),A2)
--
David Biddulph

news

Old January 8th 09, 08:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you Luke, it does work. I'm sorry I should have mentioned that I
wanted to run this formula down column "T". When I ran the formula this is
what I got for the rest of the rows:

subaru WRX subuaru
subuaru STI Jeep
Jeep Wrangler Jeep
Jeep Grand Cherokee subaru
subaru WRX subuaru
subuaru STI Jeep
Jeep Wrangler Jeep
Jeep Grand Cherokee #VALUE!

CrisT

Old January 8th 09, 08:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You may want to add some error handling

Another way:

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1&" ")-1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
=LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1)

You may want to add some error handling if there isn't always more than
one word.
=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(" ",A2)-1),LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1),A2)
--
David Biddulph

news

Old January 8th 09, 08:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think your data must start in row 1, whereas Luke's formula assumed it
started on row 2. It gave you the correct result first time because you have
Subaru on the first two rows.

Just change Luke's references from A2 to A1 in T1, and then copy down again.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Old January 8th 09, 08:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

There is nothing wrong with the stated approach.

First make sure that the formula is refering to the cell on the same row as
the formula. In other words
=LEFT(A1,Find(" ",A1)-1)
should be entered in B1, if the first entry is in A1.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

Old January 8th 09, 08:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks everyone for your help, I had tried to figure this one out on my own
by searching some old posts but I'm still trying to understand some of
"language" of formulas and got frustrated.

Thanks again!