Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default searching for a function

hello everybody, I am using Excel 2003 and have a database of participants
(country, meeting, year, male or female), please help me in finding a
function that sums the number of times that a word (ex. France) appears in a
column "Country" during (ex. 2004) in column "year".

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

This assumes your dates are in Column A and France is in column B

=SUMPRODUCT((B1:B20="France")*(YEAR(A1:A20)=2004))

Mike

"Noha" wrote:

hello everybody, I am using Excel 2003 and have a database of participants
(country, meeting, year, male or female), please help me in finding a
function that sums the number of times that a word (ex. France) appears in a
column "Country" during (ex. 2004) in column "year".

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like this:

=SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(SEARCH("France",C1:C100)))*( D1:D100=2004))

I've assumed column C contains countries and column D the year -
adjust to suit.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 8, 11:10*am, Noha wrote:
hello everybody, I am using Excel 2003 and have a database of participants
(country, meeting, year, male or female), please help me in finding a
function that sums the number of times that a word (ex. France) appears in a
column "Country" during (ex. 2004) in column "year".

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Glad to hear it worked for you.

I could have suggested (C1:C100="France") as one of the terms, but
this would be looking for exact matches with "France", and if you had
"Northern France" or "South of France" in any of those cells then this
would not have counted them.

By using ISNUMBER/SEARCH it effectively allows you to include a
"contains" clause, or search for "*France*", where * is the anything
wildcard, so it is a bit more flexible.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 8, 11:10 am, Noha wrote:
hello everybody, I am using Excel 2003 and have a database of participants
(country, meeting, year, male or female), please help me in finding a
function that sums the number of times that a word (ex. France) appears in a
column "Country" during (ex. 2004) in column "year".

Thank you- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Glad to help, Noha - thanks for feeding back.

Pete