-   -   searching for a function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/215762-searching-function.html)

Noha

searching for a function

hello everybody, I am using Excel 2003 and have a database of participants
(country, meeting, year, male or female), please help me in finding a
function that sums the number of times that a word (ex. France) appears in a
column "Country" during (ex. 2004) in column "year".

Thank you

Mike H

searching for a function

Hi,

This assumes your dates are in Column A and France is in column B

=SUMPRODUCT((B1:B20="France")*(YEAR(A1:A20)=2004))

Mike

"Noha" wrote:

hello everybody, I am using Excel 2003 and have a database of participants
(country, meeting, year, male or female), please help me in finding a
function that sums the number of times that a word (ex. France) appears in a
column "Country" during (ex. 2004) in column "year".

Thank you

Pete_UK

searching for a function

Try something like this:

=SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(SEARCH("France",C1:C100)))*( D1:D100=2004))

I've assumed column C contains countries and column D the year -
adjust to suit.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 8, 11:10*am, Noha wrote:
hello everybody, I am using Excel 2003 and have a database of participants
(country, meeting, year, male or female), please help me in finding a
function that sums the number of times that a word (ex. France) appears in a
column "Country" during (ex. 2004) in column "year".

Thank you

Noha

searching for a function

Thank you Mike, it does not work. I am displaying this results on another
sheet.

"Noha" wrote:

hello everybody, I am using Excel 2003 and have a database of participants
(country, meeting, year, male or female), please help me in finding a
function that sums the number of times that a word (ex. France) appears in a
column "Country" during (ex. 2004) in column "year".

Thank you

Noha

searching for a function

Many thanks Pete, it works. but would you please explain this function: What
is "ISNUMBER" for

On Jan 8, 11:10 am, Noha wrote:
hello everybody, I am using Excel 2003 and have a database of participants
(country, meeting, year, male or female), please help me in finding a
function that sums the number of times that a word (ex. France) appears in a
column "Country" during (ex. 2004) in column "year".

Thank you

Pete_UK

searching for a function

Glad to hear it worked for you.

I could have suggested (C1:C100="France") as one of the terms, but
this would be looking for exact matches with "France", and if you had
"Northern France" or "South of France" in any of those cells then this
would not have counted them.

By using ISNUMBER/SEARCH it effectively allows you to include a
"contains" clause, or search for "*France*", where * is the anything
wildcard, so it is a bit more flexible.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 8, 11:10 am, Noha wrote:
hello everybody, I am using Excel 2003 and have a database of participants
(country, meeting, year, male or female), please help me in finding a
function that sums the number of times that a word (ex. France) appears in a
column "Country" during (ex. 2004) in column "year".

Thank you- Hide quoted text -

Noha

searching for a function

again thank you Pete, this is exactly what I needed.

On Jan 8, 11:10 am, Noha wrote:
hello everybody, I am using Excel 2003 and have a database of participants
(country, meeting, year, male or female), please help me in finding a
function that sums the number of times that a word (ex. France) appears in a
column "Country" during (ex. 2004) in column "year".

Thank you- Hide quoted text -

Pete_UK

searching for a function

Glad to help, Noha - thanks for feeding back.

Pete