Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional Formating

When using conditional formating is there any way to highlight an entire row
when the criteria meets the cell format? My cell is = to "in" and that cell
highlights when I type it but I would like the whole row to highlight. Or is
there a way to use a cell format and ("and")?
--
Thanks much, Kath
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming cell you are concerned with is in column A

select entire row
condition format
formula is:
=$A1="in"

You could then copy this down to as many rows as you want.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Kath" wrote:

When using conditional formating is there any way to highlight an entire row
when the criteria meets the cell format? My cell is = to "in" and that cell
highlights when I type it but I would like the whole row to highlight. Or is
there a way to use a cell format and ("and")?
--
Thanks much, Kath

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assume you want the range A1:E1 highlighted when cell E1= In.

Select the range A1:E1
Goto FormatConditional Formatting
Select the Formula Is option
Enter this formula in the box on the right:

=$E1="In"

Click the Format button
Select the desired style(s)
OK out

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Kath" wrote in message
When using conditional formating is there any way to highlight an entire
row
when the criteria meets the cell format? My cell is = to "in" and that
cell
highlights when I type it but I would like the whole row to highlight. Or
is
there a way to use a cell format and ("and")?
--
Thanks much, Kath

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do the following for highlighting the entire row

1. Click/Select on the row/s you want to hightlight
2. Go to Format and select Conditional Formatting
3. Choose FORMULA IS under Condition 1
4. Enter this formula =A2="in" (change the A2 to suit your row)
5. Click on Format Go to Pattern choose the color you want
6. Click Ok out all the way and you are done

HTH

--
If this posting was helpful, please click on the Yes button below

Thank You

cheers, francis

"Kath" wrote:

When using conditional formating is there any way to highlight an entire row
when the criteria meets the cell format? My cell is = to "in" and that cell
highlights when I type it but I would like the whole row to highlight. Or is
there a way to use a cell format and ("and")?
--
Thanks much, Kath

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

In 2007

1. Highlight all the cells on the rows you want formatted
2. Choose Home, Conditional Formatting, New Rule
3. Choose Use a formula to determine which cell to format
4. In the Format values where this formula is true enter the following
formula:
=$A1="in"
5. Click the Format button and choose a format.
6. Click OK twice

Note that this works if A1 is the active cell of the highlighted range.
Suppose for example you want to highlight all of rows 1:20 based on the word
"in" in column B. then you would proceed as above but before you start
conditionally formatting you would press the Tab key to move the active cell
from A1 to B1 while maintaining the highlight. Then your formula would be
=$B1="in"

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Kath" wrote in message
When using conditional formating is there any way to highlight an entire
row
when the criteria meets the cell format? My cell is = to "in" and that
cell
highlights when I type it but I would like the whole row to highlight. Or
is
there a way to use a cell format and ("and")?
--
Thanks much, Kath

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hey Luke, thanks for the great information however... when I use the
formatting you suggested it only highlights the rest of the row not the part
of the row that has information in it. Would appreciate any other
suggestions.
--
Thanks much, Kath

"Kath" wrote:

When using conditional formating is there any way to highlight an entire row
when the criteria meets the cell format? My cell is = to "in" and that cell
highlights when I type it but I would like the whole row to highlight. Or is
there a way to use a cell format and ("and")?
--
Thanks much, Kath

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hey Luke, It works when I highlight the whole document. I was only
highlighting the row and for some reason it was highlighting the one after
it??? Not sure what to think of that. Anyways thanks again for the solution.
--
Thanks much, Kath