Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formulas

I need a formula that will do the following function.

If the number is E2 is 0 then put "MT" if the number is NOT 0 then do
SUM(56-E2)*113.63.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You'll need to explain to us the difference you expect to get between
SUM(56-E2) and (56-E2).
But in the meantime, I would suggest that you look at Excel help for the IF
function.
--
David Biddulph

"sharonrae" wrote in message
I need a formula that will do the following function.

If the number is E2 is 0 then put "MT" if the number is NOT 0 then do
SUM(56-E2)*113.63.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try looking in the help index for

IF

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"sharonrae" wrote in message
I need a formula that will do the following function.

If the number is E2 is 0 then put "MT" if the number is NOT 0 then do
SUM(56-E2)*113.63.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
try

=if(E2="0","MT", SUM(56-E2)*113.63)

"sharonrae" wrote:

I need a formula that will do the following function.

If the number is E2 is 0 then put "MT" if the number is NOT 0 then do
SUM(56-E2)*113.63.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK here is what I am trying to acheive. We are a Rice mill. And we have 52
Bins that we keep our (unproduced) rice in.

I am trying to set up a sheet so that my guys can just measure the ft enter
it in E2 and it will formulate the total weight in each bin.

If there is 0 feet I need it to say MT. (empty) And if there IS some feet in
there I need it to do the formula to figure out the weight.

Here is an example of today's

Bin1 - has 12 ft. So the formula takes 55-12=43 then times 43 X 113.63.
There is 4886.09 pounds of rice in that BIN. BUT if there was 0 feet in that
BIN I need it to say MT Or even 0 SOMETHING to show it is empty.

"sharonrae" wrote in message
I need a formula that will do the following function.

If the number is E2 is 0 then put "MT" if the number is NOT 0 then do
SUM(56-E2)*113.63.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
take a look to my answer given before

=if(E2="0","MT", SUM(56-E2)*113.63)

"sharonrae" wrote in message
I need a formula that will do the following function.

If the number is E2 is 0 then put "MT" if the number is NOT 0 then do
SUM(56-E2)*113.63.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try this

=IF(E2,(56-E2)*113.63,"MT")

FYI the comment about SUM(56-E2) is to alert you to the fact that this is
bad style. Why because 56-E2 is a single number and what is the sum of a
single number? That number. So you are wasting time typing and you are
using extra computer power, and you are making the formula longer and
therefore the spreadsheet larger. SUM(A1*B1), SUM(A1+B1) and SUM(A1/B1) all
illustrate the same incorrect entry of formulas.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"sharonrae" wrote:

I need a formula that will do the following function.

If the number is E2 is 0 then put "MT" if the number is NOT 0 then do
SUM(56-E2)*113.63.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Using your 12 foot example, what is written in E2... 12, 12 ft, "12",
something else?

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"sharonrae" wrote in message
I need a formula that will do the following function.

If the number is E2 is 0 then put "MT" if the number is NOT 0 then
do
SUM(56-E2)*113.63.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
I made a mistake try
=if(E2=0,"MT", SUM(56-E2)*113.63)

"sharonrae" wrote in message
I need a formula that will do the following function.

If the number is E2 is 0 then put "MT" if the number is NOT 0 then do
SUM(56-E2)*113.63.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

She still wouldn't get the #VALUE! error unless there is some non-numeric
text in E2; hence, my question in my response to her message.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Eduardo" wrote in message
I made a mistake try