Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using a formula to select a cell using the row and column values

With a value in cell C2 of 1. Can't I use a formula in cell D1 that says
let D1 equal the contents of cell A(c2). So D1 will equal the value of cell
A1? Or if c2 equaled a value of 4 then D1 would be equal to the value of
cell A4?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In D1, enter the formula:

*=INDIRECT("C"&C2)
*
If you understand using the & to concatenate strings together, INDIRECT
let's you piece together a cell reference any way you want, then the
resulting cell reference becomes an active answer. Read up on it.

--
JBeaucaire
JBeaucaire's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=INDEX(A:A,C2)

If C2 is empty it will return the value from A1.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"RodneyN" wrote in message
With a value in cell C2 of 1. Can't I use a formula in cell D1 that says
let D1 equal the contents of cell A(c2). So D1 will equal the value of
cell
A1? Or if c2 equaled a value of 4 then D1 would be equal to the value of
cell A4?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

My intuition tells me that INDIRECT is what you are looking for
In D1: =INDIRECT("A"&C2)
--
Max
Singapore
"RodneyN" wrote:
With a value in cell C2 of 1. Can't I use a formula in cell D1 that says
let D1 equal the contents of cell A(c2). So D1 will equal the value of cell
A1? Or if c2 equaled a value of 4 then D1 would be equal to the value of
cell A4?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you

"JBeaucaire" wrote:

In D1, enter the formula:

*=INDIRECT("C"&C2)
*
If you understand using the & to concatenate strings together, INDIRECT
let's you piece together a cell reference any way you want, then the
resulting cell reference becomes an active answer. Read up on it.

--
JBeaucaire
JBeaucaire's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=73
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=45054

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"RodneyN" wrote in message
Thank you

"RodneyN" wrote in message
With a value in cell C2 of 1. Can't I use a formula in cell D1 that
says
let D1 equal the contents of cell A(c2). So D1 will equal the value of
cell
A1? Or if c2 equaled a value of 4 then D1 would be equal to the value
of
cell A4?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Welcome, but pl spare a moment to press the YES buttons in ALL responses
which helped you.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
Downloads:21,000 Files:370 Subscribers:66
xdemechanik
---
"RodneyN" wrote:
Thank you.