Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Compare two lists

I have two lists of part numbers and I need to know whether there are numbers
in one list that are missing from the other. Using Excel Help, I found an
article on microsoft .com he
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...CL100570551033
Steps 2 and 3 of the article seem helpful, but I am trying to understand the
forumlae. Surely when comparing data on two different worksheets, you would
expect to see the worksheet name in the formula? I didn't see anywhere in the
procedure to combine the two lists onto a single worksheet.
Has anybody used this article for a similar purpose?
--
Richard

Search the web and raise money for charity at www.everyclick.com
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Does 'this link' (http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ListFunctions.aspx) help
?

--
Pecoflyer

Cheers - MS Excel Newbie
Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=40969

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

This may not be what you are looking for, but I think I have something that
might help if all you are trying to do is find out which items in 1 list are
not in the other and vice-versa.

If you copy the part number from one list and paste it in a different sheet,
say in column A and title that column Part Number. Label Column B "Source".
Next to each one of the part numbers, put where you got that list from - ex
Source A. Below that, copy and paste the part numbers from the second
source, and put "B" or where ever you are getting that info. Then, If you
do a Pivot Table on these Part Numbers, it will put a blank in the areas
that do not have a part number from either source. For Example"

Part Number Source
1 A
2 A
3 A
4 A
2 B
3 B
5 B

If that is your data, then do a Pivot Table on this data with the Part
Number in the Row and Source in both the Column and Data fields (do a
"Count" of Source). It will then return a Zero for all Part Numbers in
either column that are in 1 Source but not the other.

Hope that helps.

Search the web and raise money for charity at www.everyclick.com