Metolius Dad

Default Day of week function needed

Column A has dates in the year. Col B has customers on that date. What
formula can I use to find the total number of customers on all the Tuesdays?
Average number for each Tuesday?

TIA, I appreciate you folks being there.
Sam Beardsley
Fredrik Wahlgren

"Metolius Dad" wrote in message
Column A has dates in the year. Col B has customers on that date. What
formula can I use to find the total number of customers on all the

Tuesdays?
Average number for each Tuesday?

TIA, I appreciate you folks being there.
Sam Beardsley

One way
In Column C, enter =WEEKDAY(A1)
To get the total number of customers for a Tuesday, enter =COUNTIF(A1:A23,"=
3")
Of course, you need to adjust the range.

/Fredrik

Ragdyer

Try this for total number of Tuesday customers:

=SUMPRODUCT((WEEKDAY(A1:A365)=3)*(B1:B365<""))

And try this for the average:
=SUMPRODUCT((WEEKDAY(A1:A365)=3)*(B1:B365<""))/SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(A1:A36
5)=3))
--
HTH,

RD

"Metolius Dad" wrote in message
Column A has dates in the year. Col B has customers on that date. What
formula can I use to find the total number of customers on all the

Tuesdays?
Average number for each Tuesday?

TIA, I appreciate you folks being there.
Sam Beardsley

Metolius Dad

Hi RD

This doesn't seem to be working. It DOES count the number of times during
the year that ANY customers were in on a Tuesday but I wanted something that
counted the total number of customers in on all of the Tuesdays.

Thank you
Sam

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this for total number of Tuesday customers:

=SUMPRODUCT((WEEKDAY(A1:A365)=3)*(B1:B365<""))

And try this for the average:
=SUMPRODUCT((WEEKDAY(A1:A365)=3)*(B1:B365<""))/SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(A1:A36
5)=3))
--
HTH,

RD

"Metolius Dad" wrote in message
Column A has dates in the year. Col B has customers on that date. What
formula can I use to find the total number of customers on all the

Tuesdays?
Average number for each Tuesday?

TIA, I appreciate you folks being there.
Sam Beardsley

RagDyeR

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your distinction between "ANY" customer
and "total number" of customers.

Could you give an example of your datalist, where that difference would be
evident?

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this for total number of Tuesday customers:

=SUMPRODUCT((WEEKDAY(A1:A365)=3)*(B1:B365<""))

And try this for the average:

=SUMPRODUCT((WEEKDAY(A1:A365)=3)*(B1:B365<""))/SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(A1:A36
5)=3))
--
HTH,

RD

-

-

"Metolius Dad" wrote in message
Column A has dates in the year. Col B has customers on that date. What
formula can I use to find the total number of customers on all the

Tuesdays?
Average number for each Tuesday?

TIA, I appreciate you folks being there.
Sam Beardsley

Metolius Dad

Hi RD

Your original formula counted the number of times ANY customers came in on
the Tuesdays during the year i.e. if 122 people came in on one Tuesday it
still counted that occurance as one. I tweaked with the formula you gave me
abit, removed the <"" and it's working fine. I haven't worked on the
average formula yet.

Thanks again for being there.
Sam