Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default copying data in cells

We are working on a bonus spreadsheet for all of our 10,000 employees. Pages
of data were sent to to me to manipulate the data. As you can see there is a
row between each employees data; however, when you look at George Jones, his
personal ID and name stops on row 1. Is there was away for each ZJ77130 row
carry the ID and name down to each row and have it stop on the last row where
the new name picks up?

EXAMPLE:
1302190 0413668 Axe, Tom Jones

ZJ77130 0155052 Jones, George
ZJ77130
ZJ77130
ZJ77130

1306005 0316997 Phillips, Shan
1306005
1306005

1306005 0144832 Cruise, Sheila
1306005

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I wanted to show you more data from the spreadsheet with the dates. So, as
you can see there is a row inserted in between Tom and George. We need
George Jones ID and Name to show on his 4 lines.

1302190 0413668 Axe, Tom Jones 10/27/2008 12/31/2008

ZJ77130 0155052 Jones, George 03/01/2008 03/31/2008
ZJ77130 04/01/2008 06/30/2008
ZJ77130 07/01/2008 08/31/2008
ZJ77130 09/01/2008 12/31/2008

"Kimmie" wrote:

We are working on a bonus spreadsheet for all of our 10,000 employees. Pages
of data were sent to to me to manipulate the data. As you can see there is a
row between each employees data; however, when you look at George Jones, his
personal ID and name stops on row 1. Is there was away for each ZJ77130 row
carry the ID and name down to each row and have it stop on the last row where
the new name picks up?

EXAMPLE:
1302190 0413668 Axe, Tom Jones

ZJ77130 0155052 Jones, George
ZJ77130
ZJ77130
ZJ77130

1306005 0316997 Phillips, Shan
1306005
1306005

1306005 0144832 Cruise, Sheila
1306005

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You might have to play a little bit depending on the rows it is in, but
assuming the ZJ77130 is in col A and 0155052 in B then select column B and C
and hit control G (or Edit in the menu, GoTo) select special, then click the
circle for blanks and hit OK. You should see that all the blank cells are
selected. Type this formula =IF(A2<"",B1,"") you can click other cells
without losing the selection only after typing "=" then hit ctl Enter and
that should do it. Note that the cells may not be the same so what you want
to do is if the row to the left (A2 in my case) is not blank, then select the
row above (B1 in my case) else "". Let me know if this makes no sense and i
will try again.
--
-John
is helpful.