Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can I pass network logon name to a cell in a spreadsheet?

I want to be able to use the user logon name to crete a filter only for that
user out of a large data set. Does Excell have a function which passes the
network login user name to a cell?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

This UDF should do that. Alt +F11 to open VB editor. Right click 'This
workbook' and insert module and paste this in

Function user()
user = Environ("Username")
End Function

Call with

=user()

Mike

"Quality Plan" wrote:

I want to be able to use the user logon name to crete a filter only for that
user out of a large data set. Does Excell have a function which passes the
network login user name to a cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you wanted the apllication user name change Environ("username") for
Application.Username but of course it assumes that they set up a
username when very first opening the application, usually in the case of
networked machines the user just hits the ok button so it will have
their network login.

--
The Code Cage Team

Regards,
The Code Cage Team
The Code Cage Team's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=2
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=36552

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Function loginname()
Application.Volatile
User = Environ("username")
End Function

In a cell enter =loginname()

Copy/paste the function to a general module in your workbook.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 08:55:00 -0800, Quality Plan
wrote:

I want to be able to use the user logon name to crete a filter only for that
user out of a large data set. Does Excell have a function which passes the
network login user name to a cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Rick Rothstein;131863 Wrote:
This may not be good enough for the OP's purposes as the user can change
his/her Excel UserName (what Application.UserName reports) anytime via
the General tab of the Options dialog.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Rick i agree, the information was to give the OP a different
perspective, i didn't explain the nature of it very much, thanks for
picking that up!