Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Database Functions

I am trying to retrieve values from a database with multiple criteria that
change from row to row. Is there any way possible to build into the formula
"dynamic" criteria without having to create massive criteria tables? Back in
the Lotus days you could build the criteria into the formula.

DB would look like...

Criteria1 Criteria2 Value
A 1 $10
A 2 $15
B 1 $20
B 2 $25

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

From the manner that you reflected the "criteria", it looks just like a
typical pivot table output, with the col headers for Criteria1/2 placed
within the ROW area (Criteria2 below Criteria1), and the col header for Value
placed in the DATA area, set to SUM.
--
Max
Singapore
"ControllerInVa" wrote:
I am trying to retrieve values from a database with multiple criteria that
change from row to row. Is there any way possible to build into the formula
"dynamic" criteria without having to create massive criteria tables? Back in
the Lotus days you could build the criteria into the formula.

DB would look like...

Criteria1 Criteria2 Value
A 1 $10
A 2 $15
B 1 $20
B 2 $25

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Please provide us with some example illustrating what you mean by dynamic
criteria. Show us some sample data and the expected results.

If you could solve it in Lotus 1-2-3 you can solve it in Excel. You may
want to look at the D-Functions.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"ControllerInVa" wrote:

I am trying to retrieve values from a database with multiple criteria that
change from row to row. Is there any way possible to build into the formula
"dynamic" criteria without having to create massive criteria tables? Back in
the Lotus days you could build the criteria into the formula.

DB would look like...

Criteria1 Criteria2 Value
A 1 $10
A 2 $15
B 1 $20
B 2 $25

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am trying to use the D-Functions and not have to create multiple pivot
tables to retrieve the information.

I want to create a D-Function formula that I can copy down and use criteia
located on the row to retrieve the information from the database.

The formula that you could construct, based on the table below, in Lotus was:

dget(database,value,criteria1 = [cellA1] and criteria2 = [cellA2])
dget(database,value,criteria1 = [cellB1] and criteria2 = [cellB2])

By dynamic criteria I mean criteria that changes from row-to-row in my
worksheet.

I have done some research and I am finding that what I am trying to do might
not be possible.

ControllerInVa